Why become a member? ×

NBD - Harley Benton MV-4PJ Gotoh SFG

Che

Thanks! :) 

Let me write down some more info about my exemplar;

Out if the box it felt rather, not so heavy. I thought around my Daphne Blue Tele which is 3.9kg but after putting the MV-4PJ on the scale it revealed a 4.4kg weight, to my surprise. It certainly doesn’t feel that heavy. Maybe it’s well balanced between the neck and body? I would say it’s well balanced and not body heavy nor neck heavy. 

This Laurel fretboard is to me more beautiful than some rosewood I’ve had or seen. It’s very nice a dark with lively grain.

The frets were likely the best I’ve seen on Harley Benton guitars. I’ve had around 20 since 2014 and none were this good. They are polished, levels, crowned, no sharp edges … just lovely! 

The neck feels great under my hand. I like it a bit chunky so D shape suits me better than modern C. 
One thing I’ve experienced with HB Roasted necks is the neck screws keep turning on and on as the roasted wood got chewed up by the screw easily. If this happens I will glue one toothpick to strengthen the screw hole in the neck heel. 

Body finish is great. It does not look like my Vintera Strat SFG. It has more bright Green appearance. But it’s not an issue. Works great with the awesome looking , proper tort ply. I say proper, because it’s a tick layer of tort on top of the white layer. There is a 3D aspect to it. 

Knobs look and feel fine. Pots actually work all the way which is a big plus. 
Can’t say much about the bass tone as I’m not a bass player. P and P in combination with J sound fine. As long there is more P than J it’s fine. J on its own sounds rather weedy. Doesn’t bother me. Tone pot is very usable. 

Bridge seems fine. I love brass barrel saddles. 

I only ever had a HB JB-75 and HB Shorty. This is my 3rd bass. I know more about good guitar tone. But I do know what is or isn’t built well. 
This bass is jaw dropping! 

• Like 2