Why become a member? ×

Fender Fools Gold Jazz

Duroc17

On 07/02/2023 at 15:18, Belka said:

I think you're right. I mean, the pickup/bridge misalignment is not forgivable at this price point, but complaining about a vintage style bridge, truss rod access at the body end and neck dive being defects isn't really fair, they're features of pretty much any vintage styled Jazz, and you'll get them on custom shop instruments costing three times this much.

Truss rod adjustment by taking the neck off is a dreadful idea - I don't know why Fender kept it going into the 70s, let alone to the present day. If they were desperate to have the adjustment at the heel, they could have done it with a wheel with holes in, like they have on another model just to prove it can be done.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I find it extraordinary that there are only a couple of posts in this thread that refer to the apparent pick up design error (is too narrow for the string spacing).

Or are people on Basschat not worried about having a bass where the E string has 1/3 the volume (or less) of the other strings?! I can imagine that getting in the way of most bass parts I play!! Pity as the rest of the bass sounds ok (if you like that sort of thing).

It's marginal but needs the strings to be aligned correctly to the pickup. Just slightly out and they'll go off the pickup. So the not-quite-wide-enough pickup has helped to highlight the fault with the string/bridge/neck alignment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Good call. I wonder if they use the same pickup as on the Gold Foil Jazzmaster and Telecaster guitars, but in a different casing (so it doesn't need a mounting ring):

fender-gold-foil-series.jpeg

I’m sure they do. The reason the pickup looks too small is probably because it’s designed for a guitar?

• Like 2