Why become a member? ×

Gallien-Krueger 2001RB

trent900

I feel like a fraud reviewing this, I wouldn't really consider myself expert enough but here goes:

Similar products tested: nothing with this level of beef. Hartke and Ashdown combos mostly, plus the classic, a Hartke 3500 head/single 15" half stack

Review context: cabs are Epi UL310 alone for rehearsals plus an Aguilar GS212 also when full power is required, captain.

Price paid: £799 which I was pretty happy with. To be honest I only bought it because I thought it would be funny to have a ludicrously overkill rig and it was well under a grand, which I'd budgeted for a head.

[b]Features: 8[/b]
I'm not a features wizz nor a hi-fi fanatic, I'm a pocket groove player unless the song demands something a bit more flash. The 2001 has everything I need, inc. the requisite DI. I'm a huge fan of the footswitchable clean/drive channels, the drive channel is much much easier to use than the pedals I've tried and preserves the low end of the sound better - it's great for back-of-band sort of pad overdrive...you know, pedal notes...and also with a bit more gain and edge it reproduces sounds like Song 2 seamlessly with the clean channel for the rest of the some. It sometimes clicks on switching channels but I guess that depends what signal is passing through the amp when you switch.

If GK made a good compressor it would be a great boon to this amp but they don't so there isn't one. Ah well.

The independent 540W channels I find useful - especially the ability to turn down the right channel. It adds an extra level of flexibility: I can turn down the UL310's crisp top end in favour of the Aguilar's trouser-shaking bottom if I want.

[b]Sound Quality: 10[/b]
I can't fault this. I dragged it laboriously out of the box, sat it on the full stack, set everything flat, filters off and turned it on and there magically was a great balanced tone, classic GK growl. I still barely play with the EQ I like the flat tone so much but with a bit more high mid and treble, some contour and presence it's punchy enough to demolish some pretty expert bricklaying.

That said, changing the pickup balance on the bass gives a fantastic smooth sound still with fat crisp bottom. I don't have the bass player's language to describe this better but 'Invisible Touch' by Genesis is a good example of what I mean.

I'm told you can get the clean channel to give nice growly drive if you drop the 'woofer' level and max out the 'boost', but to be honest I can't tell that much of a difference. Maybe a different bass would do this better but my with my Tobias it's not a sound feature worth pursuing.

[b]Reliability: 10 so far[/b]
Had it a year or so, cranking it (well as far as you ever crank something this powerful) about 3 times a week. No problems. About the second time I turned it on the transformer arced viciously onto presumably the case but I presume it's designed to accept this because it hasn't caused any problems. Many other reviewers suggest GKs are pretty bombproof.

[b]Customer Support: N/A[/b]
No experience, thank the Lord.

[b]Overall rating: 9[/b]
To my ears and to listen back to protools recordings this is an absolutely stellar amp for sound.

Bear in mind though it is VERY HEAVY. I LOVE it and so do my recording chums and I would still seriously consider trading for something lighter. It's 20kg bare so plus compressor and rack case (and you need a big rack because it does pump out quite a lot of heat) you're topping 30kg. If I'd thought about things I would probably have got the 1001RB II but I'm a big kid really and went for the big daddy. It's ludicrous overkill for rehearsals - seriously, do your back a favour - but for medium-size gigs I don't think it can easily be beat.

Looks pimp, too, in my opinion. Slight lack of flashy lights easily rectified by other rack components.

Hope this helps, sorry it's not a more expert review.

Jon

Edited by trent900

Forgot one key point of information:

I'm sure it's dependent on where it is and what cabs you're using, but where my stack normally lives (medium-size auditorium, close to drums, monitors, mics etc) if you plug a passive bass into the G-K you enter a [i]constant battle with a particularly ear-splitting brand of feedback.[/i]

Not even a suggestion of feedback with any active bass; absolutely crippling with any passive we've tried. Something to bear in mind.

Edited by trent900

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='472555' date='Apr 26 2009, 10:28 AM']Have you used a wide variety of passive instruments through the amp? I was wondering whether they might have microphonic pickups if your gain levels are set too high.[/quote]

Off the top of my head I think we've tried a nice Fender with split single coils, Washburn, Warwick, and a crappy Squier. Can't remember which models of each.

Gain always pretty low, never above about a third on clean channel level or 'boost'.

I think there is a problem with interference from fields (we have a hearing aid loop which causes endless problems) but I thought it was worth mentioning that at least in the situation I'm in passive basses are really tough to control whereas active ones are just plug in and play.

• 11 months later...

Only just found this review. So pardon me if you didn't want it resurrected. I have the same amp and run it through 2x GK RBH 410s, and it is the best amp i've ever heard.

My main reason for buying, is that I am a big fan of Duff McKagan, and he has used this since it was introduced. I love his sound, and i get it with the gear i have. As you say it can be overkill, but at least you know you always have clean head-room. The ONLY downside to this amp is that it is heavy, i have mine mounted in a shock mount rack case.

Its a shame GK doesn't put the distortion channel on the smaller Artist range of amps, as most people could gig with the 700RB and 1001RB. Also their Distortion Pedal is not EU compliant, making it not available to buy in Europe.

Thanks for the review dude.

[quote name='trent900' post='472710' date='Apr 26 2009, 03:15 PM']Off the top of my head I think we've tried a nice Fender with split single coils, Washburn, Warwick, and a crappy Squier. Can't remember which models of each.

Gain always pretty low, never above about a third on clean channel level or 'boost'.

I think there is a problem with interference from fields (we have a hearing aid loop which causes endless problems) but I thought it was worth mentioning that at least in the situation I'm in passive basses are really tough to control whereas active ones are just plug in and play.[/quote]

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='800409' date='Apr 9 2010, 01:08 AM'][...] Also their Distortion Pedal is not EU compliant, making it not available to buy in Europe.[...][/quote]
Really? I must check my Diesel Dawg and see what's going on. It takes 9VDC, so if memory serves me well (and I don't think it does), it is CE compliant as only those above 20VDC or thereabouts require testing. I'm quite possibly wrong here, though.

Anyway, the Diesel Dawg is utterly great. Thanks for the review - I have the 700RB which is more than enough for me right now. The 1001RB may be on the cards later on in life, but I don't think I'll need even that.