Why become a member? ×

Mini overdrive pedal

Rusco

Looking for a mini overdrive pedal for a mini 'grab and go' music night/open mic pedal board. It will go with a TC Spectracomp, Corona Chorus mini and a tbc octave (prob a sub n up) 

Something that can give a bit of Sansamp through to heavier Muse when flat out. 

I'm realistic, I know it's going to be a compromise and the Muse end will be a best effort for an OD, that's fine. It's just for fun nights not gigging or recording.

Google has thrown up Moorer Hustle Drive, Hookers Green Bass Machine and Cog 66 mini.

Must be a mini but any thoughts on those or any other suggestions?

Cheers!

Mooer Hustle Drive is a great OCD clone, which works great for bass, the One Control Hookers Green Bass Machine is amazing too, and I would consider a Mosky Black Rat too, which is a RAT clone, and maybe would come closest to what you are looking for , in Turbo Mode at low gain it can do an overdrive thing, but at the same time get quite fuzzy on high gain settings.

The Joyo JF-309 Ironman Boogie Master, which is an all analog emulation of a Mesa Boogie type drive might be worth considering as well, it at least is a darker type drive and has a really wide range of gain, actually all the way down from perfectly clean, over just on the verge of breakup tube amp like grid, to low gain overdrive, and then all the way up to an upper medium gain, but quite massive sounding, distortion.

Can't speak of the Cog 66 Mini, as I am not familiar with it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

11 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Mooer Hustle Drive is a great OCD clone, which works great for bass, the One Control Hookers Green Bass Machine is amazing too, and I would consider a Mosky Black Rat too, which is a RAT clone, and maybe would come closest to what you are looking for , in Turbo Mode at low gain it can do an overdrive thing, but at the same time get quite fuzzy on high gain settings.

The Joyo JF-309 Ironman Boogie Master, which is an all analog emulation of a Mesa Boogie type drive might be worth considering as well, it at least is a darker type drive and has a really wide range of gain, actually all the way down from perfectly clean, over just on the verge of breakup tube amp like grid, over low gain overdrive and then all the way up to an upper medium gain, but quite massive sounding, distortion.

Can't speak of the Cog 66 Mini, as I am not familiar with it.

Thanks for explanations and suggestions. I wasn’t aware of the Mosky or Joyo so will also take a look at those. Cheers. 

On 02/02/2023 at 11:39, Rusco said:

Looking for a mini overdrive pedal for a mini 'grab and go' music night/open mic pedal board. It will go with a TC Spectracomp, Corona Chorus mini and a tbc octave (prob a sub n up) 

Something that can give a bit of Sansamp through to heavier Muse when flat out. 

I'm realistic, I know it's going to be a compromise and the Muse end will be a best effort for an OD, that's fine. It's just for fun nights not gigging or recording.

Google has thrown up Moorer Hustle Drive, Hookers Green Bass Machine and Cog 66 mini.

Must be a mini but any thoughts on those or any other suggestions?

Cheers!

I've got the Hustle Drive and it's a great overdrive for bass.

The Valeton Tube Refiner is also a favourite of mine but it's geared more towards low/mid gain sounds compared to the Hustle Drive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcnach said:

Oh, and the Joyo Orange Juice, how could I forget that one!

While I do really love the Joyo Orange Juice, so much that I own  no less than 3 of them, and all currently in frequent use on my main board, from how I understood the OP it doesn't seem to me like it would do what OP is looking for.

The Joyo Orange Juice excels at either a really dynamically sensitive low gain tube like breakup grid in one end of it's gain spectrum, or at the opposite end of it's gain spectrum a really grindy and biting type high gain overdrive/medium gain distortion.

It doesn't really do low end grunt or fuzzy, and is really more grindy than gnarly.

It does do grindy exceptionally well though on higher gain settings, and as said on lower gain settings it does dynamically sensitive tube like breakup grid really well too.

I might have interpreted what OP is looking for wrong though.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

On 04/02/2023 at 14:53, mcnach said:

I've got the Hustle Drive and it's a great overdrive for bass.

The Valeton Tube Refiner is also a favourite of mine but it's geared more towards low/mid gain sounds compared to the Hustle Drive.

Thanks. Quite a lot of positive comments on the Hustle Drive so I’ve gone ahead and ordered one to try!