Why become a member? ×

Thomastik

sblueplanet

I've used both, but with quite a gap between, so making an accurate comparison is a little difficult, I suspect that the superflexibles are a tad darker, but I don't know whether the set I have are 3/4 or 4/4 and I'm comparing by memory to the 3885 spiro weich set for 3/4. Tension wise the Superflexible set is heavier going than the Spiro set.

General finish of the strings doesn't vary between the two, and arco performance is similar, can't yet comment on overall lifespan. Worth noting also that I haven't played both sets on the same bass, so pinch of salt and all that.

One thing worth mentioning is that spiros come in many tension variations, but Superflexibles don't have a lot of choices, so check the tension data carefully to make sure you are not going to end up with a string which is too stiff.

I've used Superflexibles on an EUB and one double bass some years ago, and have settled on Spirocores since, but not on the same instruments so I don't have a direct comparison. The Superflexibles do tend quite stiff - they're an older design than the Spirocores, when they were introduced they would have been more flexible than a solid steel core, but they're quite high tension strings. Certainly no lighter feeling than a mittel/medium set of Spiros.

All interesting and informative comments. I would say that what I'm lacking with the existing strings is low-end definition. It is a laminated bass. Also, playing-wise on DB I'm a newbie so would prefer lighter tension to help moving around. If this extra info offers up further discussion please weigh in 😎

I'd suggest Spirocore Weich. Bright & punchy, perfect for mumbling laminates.

If you can't get on with the tension, you'll easily be able to sell them on and try a set of Perpetuals. Perps are as bright as spiros but without the nasal G and feel a bit softer under the left hand. IME, obvs.

My laminate suffers from a bit of wooliness on the E so I have Perpetual G&A and a Spiro Weich E.

Another option would be Spiro Weich solos tuned to orchestra pitch. Tension would be super low but you'd also lose some definition in the process.

• Thanks 1