Why become a member? ×

Actives in Pangbourne bass

Nick Sellors

Hi New to this site so please bare with me.

I have a Pangbourne fretless bass which I had made for me back in the 80's , have not used for some time and looking to start to using again however the actives are not working frying egg white noise. sounds. I have changed the battery and works on passive when switched over. Switch has been cleaned.

Currently with someone who is looking at but thinks the actives have gone, hence the reason for a reach out if anyone knows if I can get a replacement system. It Is based on Bass, Middle, Top setup.

Would be awesome if someone can advise where to obtain new actives unit.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick and welcome to Basschat.  Pangbournes are beautiful basses and really quite rare - great to see some images when you have time. I had one some years ago but not the higher end model (Warlord).  The active circuit may be repairable and I hope this is the case.  I've had some fairly obscure custom electronics re-built and brought back to life in the past.  If there's a real problem, there are very many alternative circuits.  A lot of players use Bartolini though I tend to prefer the Aguilar OBP-3 - great for 2 pickup basses.  I'm sure that many others will join the thread with alternatives (Glockenklang, East, Seymour Duncan etc.)  I'm also sure you'll get the bass working and lovely to see it if you have a chance.

Edited by three

Pangbournes are indeed rare and still sought after basses. I remember them well. 

The components in the preamp may well just be knackered due to the passage of time. A boffin might be able to fix it and enable you to keep the bass original, but failing that it might well be worthwhile contacting someone like John East to revamp the electronics. John's preamps are wonderful pieces of engineering and they sound terrific. That would be my choice if it were my bass( I should be so lucky...)

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

I'd strongly suggest you take it to someone who can check the circuit - could be a simple dead component. The preamp will be matched to the pickups and changing the electronics could radically alter the sound as well as devaluing the bass. If it were me I'd swap out as a last resort given that preamps are generally pretty simple circuits and most components easy to replace.

• Like 2

If it is a built up circuit board rather than a potted preamp have a good look at it and see if you can spot a bulging or even burst electrolytic capacitor or more. Little black barrel with two legs sticking out underneath.

They are known to die of old age and are one of the things that often need to get replaced when an amp gets a rebuild. Also look for dull looking solder joints.

If it has little amps in there in a socket (they look like little rectangular black spiders) make sure the legs are clean and that they are well seated in the socket. They are known to work loose

They look like this. If you pull one out don't touch it's legs we have enough static to zap them. Hope that helps to identify the obvious culprits.16745474927963462066479033013592.thumb.jpg.f72c58f7a1eef2e77de2b9e1294232c4.jpg

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

make sure the legs are clean and that they are well seated in the socket. They are known to work loose

They look like this. If you pull one out don't touch it's legs we have enough static to zap them.

Can be easy to bend the legs pulling them out - good to get a chip puller, or ease them very gently out without pulling them too far on one end - Ideally you want to be able to lift them straight up.

White noise sounds like it could be a dead opamp or cap as @Ralf1esays, which would be an easy fix for a decent repair person.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/01/2023 at 06:48, Nick Sellors said:

Hi New to this site so please bare with me.

I have a Pangbourne fretless bass which I had made for me back in the 80's , have not used for some time and looking to start to using again however the actives are not working frying egg white noise. sounds. I have changed the battery and works on passive when switched over. Switch has been cleaned.

Currently with someone who is looking at but thinks the actives have gone, hence the reason for a reach out if anyone knows if I can get a replacement system. It Is based on Bass, Middle, Top setup.

Would be awesome if someone can advise where to obtain new actives unit.

Thanks

Nick

A lot of Pangborn owners have had the actives crap out.  A popular replacement is the 3-band active circuit from Jaydee.

• Like 1