Why become a member? ×

Hissy Fit on a PJB BG400

Oldman

I have just acquired a BG 400 plus C4, there is a hiss from the mid and treble controls when advanced past 12, with very little reduction when turned anti clockwise. I wanted the two channel option, having a Zooom B3n means I can adjust pre amps on one of the inputs and perhaps negate the use of the tone controls on that channel and perhaps use a Pre on the other channel. But, that’s not the point IMO there shouldn’t be the amount of hiss there is. 

Do I have to live with this? Or is there a diagnostic remedy? 

Help or advice will be gratefully received.

Is the hiss masked when playing an instrument through it? Few, if any instrument amps are completely silent, especially at higher levels of gain (just listen to any valve guitar rig when it is fired up but not being played through). PJB gear has quite an extended high frequency output - more so than many bass amps - so it may be more noticeable. If it does not intrude when playing, is it a problem in a real world situation? How is the mains supply at yours? Are there appliances, etc, which might be causing noise? I had an issue where I used to live with a street light that was right outside the house. When it was lit, it created noise on the mains, which I noticed when listening to my hi-fi. A power conditioner helped.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

Thanks I’m giving it a thorough test when I get back home later tomorrow. The hissing is accentuated when the tone controls are advanced but never quite go away when retarded to Zero. I know bass amps hiss when tone controls are advanced specially mid and treble. I need to try this with me distanced from it to see if it is cutting through. I could, of course back the tones right off and use an outboard Pre amp pedal, but that rather defeats the exercise of twin channels. 

Edited by Oldman

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, you’ll love this. I went through the whole rigmarole again, checking leads, checking earths, everything. Then I looked at the signal chain, changed the battery in the Bass…….. guess what? Hiss, she vanish like the wind. Twin channels is us, B3n through one, straight through the other, my bass sound unmodified and the other channel with whatever takes my fancy.

So happy bunny, rehearsing with it in full flight next week.

Thanks for all your assistance guys muchly appreciated, it’s pays to ask🤔👍

• Like 4