Why become a member? ×

Absolutely Stupid Comments about Cheap Trick’s TP

ChWillie

Just now, Chris2112 said:

This thread is about a triple-course 12 string. If you want individual strings for 11 or 12 string basses you probably need to source them from SIT or somewhere like that.

The thing is that i talked all the time of this kind of bass and said that i would not called it a normal bass anyway. I don't really care about the strings.

5 minutes ago, nilorius said:

The thing is that i talked all the time of this kind of bass and said that i would not called it a normal bass anyway. I don't really care about the strings.

Things might be getting lost in translation.  This whole thread is about the bass player from Cheap Trick who exclusively uses a 12 string bass which is tuned EADG only but has pairs of sympathetic strings tuned the same and it is considered a BASS because it is not an extended range instrument.  You seem to be discussing with yourself an alternative instrument, strung and tuned very different.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Things might be getting lost in translation.  This whole thread is about the bass player from Cheap Trick who exclusively uses a 12 string bass which is tuned EADG only but has pairs of sympathetic strings tuned the same and it is considered a BASS because it is not an extended range instrument.  You seem to be discussing with yourself an alternative instrument, strung and tuned very different.   

Shure - stick with this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 25/12/2022 at 01:49, tauzero said:

Most effective when you add a small amount of imperfection into the tuning so they're not exactly an octave apart - not discordant, just beating quite slowly. This applies even more to mandolins and bouzoukis which are tuned in unison rather than octave pairs.

Correct.

On 25/12/2022 at 06:38, Bluewine said:

They use to play at the "sock hops" back in the early 70s at my college. Tom was using Orange way back then.

The idea of the 12 string bass is cool , however I would imagine maintaining one would be a pain.

Blue

I've had my 12er truss rod tweaked once since 1994.

On 20/12/2022 at 19:18, Woodinblack said:

Ultimately you can make a simple approximation of an 8 (and a not particularly good approximation of a 12) with effects, but it will never be quite the same.

An 8-er is certainly easier to record and amplify, but doesn't have the same big sound.

On 25/12/2022 at 13:53, Chris2112 said:

The only 12 string bass sets I can see for sale in the UK are D'Addarios at £65 a set. They must take ages to fit too. 

Easier than a Rickenbacker 12 string guitar with a slotted headstock.
As for the cost of 12er bass string sets, yep, they are expensive, but there are 12 strings in there. I haven't changed mine that much over the years, surprisingly, but I only change the strings when they start to die.

12+excalibur.jpg

• Like 2