Why become a member? ×

Tascam DR-07x

fleabag

Been trying to use this to record rehearsals, but every track recorded, without fail, has about 4/5 seconds of very bad distortion at the start of all tracks, then becomes clear after about 4/5 seconds.

I'm sure this is me not setting something correctly, but i've tried a lot of things in the menu, but it just keeps on happening.

Any tips welcome

Edited by fleabag

Sounds like you may have the "auto" level mode set in the input setting menu. What's happening is, is that the D07x detects that the input is peaking and then automatically adjusting the gain down. You can hear the input gain being reduced on the recording. Every time it starts a new recording, it will do the same routine... hence why you are seeing the repeated behaviour.

What you need to do is switch the "level mode" to "manual" (under I/O setting menu item) and save - and then when you hit record, pressing the |<< and >>| buttons will enable you to manually set the recording level. Get the band to play and monitor the levels to make sure they are not clipping (get it to peak at -6dB to be safe) Being digital, you an afford to under gain a bit which should give you a bit of headroom to avoid distorting peaks. You can then bring it into audacity or whatever DAW you want to normalise (or further process).

• Like 1