Why become a member? ×

Sterling SUB 4HH

TheGreek

Picked up this very attractive,  silver blue metallic bass today. 

The paint has that "flip flop" effect seen in modern paints that alter the colour from light blue to purple depending on the light. 

I've played it for about an hour,  initial thoughts below. Obviously subject to change based on whether I gel with it or not. 

I'm not your typical MM fanboi and don't have a good history with Ray types. 

In the past I've owned 3 Stingrays, the first,  an '89 which was amazing, felt so right - certainly lived up to the MM reputation, sold when I shouldn't have and seller's remorse forced me to buy my second,  a 2006, shortly after which was just plain ordinary, and left me mentally scarred regarding Ray's.

The third was a rare non export MIJ , made from imported genuine US MM parts and assembled in Japan which I didn't gel with and sold here to a non UK based player, making them even rarer in the UK. 

So this venture into MM territory was with a bit of trepidation TBH.

To complicate matters further I've been playing 5ers almost exclusively for the past year or so and using tapewound strings. Obviously the Sterling 4HH doesn't satisfy either criteria. 

Let's get the strings out of the way first. Whatever strings are on the bass are horrid!! The tension is just wrong..far too much tension,  thus less feel and after using tapewounds they feel like a cheese grater. Tones from the roundwounds lack the character of my favoured tapewounds so pointless drawing any comparison. 

The bass itself comes fitted with the "new, modern C shape" neck and it's very nice too. Very playable,  something more akin to a jazz, with a satin finish. 

Bass is fitted with a  5 way switch which allows the pickups to produce tones rangeing from a single bridge jazz, humbuckers and P type - ish. Not a strong P tone but the pickups aren't configured to produce a pure P tone,  no matter what they say. 

TBH I won't be happy with the tonal package till I've changed the strings for tapewounds but for an "entry level 'Ray" most won't be disappointed.

Lots of reviews on YouTube for those wanting to hear more about the pickup permutations.

Hardwear seems to be of good quality,  the tuners stayed in tune following the 30 minute journey home on my back seat even though it wasn't cased.

Bridge is the usual MM type in chrome and again looks OK for a bass of this price. 

Overall, a not remarkable bass, pitched in the same price bracket as Sires, G&L, Squier and many respected others so lots of competition. 

ATEOTD It's your money so you decide but I think these are certainly worth giving your consideration if you are thinking of spending £450 ish for a new bass. 

Second hand prices seem to be from £275 to £350 - mine, in very nice condition was close to the middle so all things considered, not a bad buy.