Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone use a Source Audio Aftershock?

lidl e

Very good.

It can do way more than I use it for. I don't go into deep edit mode, create presets blending two types of overdrive etc... I simply have 6 presets saved (3 on each 'bank') and that's it. It can cover som much ground, that I always find the sort of sound I'm aiming for. It feels I underutilise it, but that's fine by me.

• Like 1

Just buy it, they're awesome bits of kit.

You can make it as complicated or not as you see fit. All the benefits of sub menus, apps and digital editing but with knobs that you can adjust on the fly.

In fact, I'm thinking about getting a SA Atlas to go with mine 

• Like 1

I'm going to be a bit of a dissenting voice here - I found the AS core tones to be typically 3 to 4 out of 5 in terms of the original drives they were digitally emulating. So, all in all, it felt a bit meh to me and I didn't hold onto mine. Obviously others seem to love it, so YMMV etc. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm going to be a bit of a dissenting voice here - I found the AS core tones to be typically 3 to 4 out of 5 in terms of the original drives they were digitally emulating. So, all in all, it felt a bit meh to me and I didn't hold onto mine. Obviously others seem to love it, so YMMV etc. 

I didn't buy mine to emulate anything else (I would have just bought what it emulated otherwise) I picked it up hoping It had the flexibility to get close to some sounds in my head that I could use in a few different songs within the band.  I particularly wanted a synthy fuzz with a large clean derriere for Buck Rogers and a Garbage song we do and also an MXR Di/ sort of sound for Slither and some Timmy C noises for Audioslave stuff. Someone had already had a go at creating those types of in the Neuro App thing so it was an easy place to start from, tweak a bit and save to the 3 toggle switch settings. It also saved me a load of cash buying 3 or 4 other pedals just to use in a couple of songs. Oh and also because it has knobs. I'm liking having knobs after having a few Zoom things that needed menu diving to tweak stuff. Knobs are a good thing 🙂 I love knobs.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I never tried to 'emulate' any other pedal. When I have a kind of 'dirt' in mind, the Aftershock has always given me the result I wanted. It's so incredibly 'tweakable'.

On 05/12/2022 at 22:25, mcnach said:

I never tried to 'emulate' any other pedal. When I have a kind of 'dirt' in mind, the Aftershock has always given me the result I wanted. It's so incredibly 'tweakable'.

The AS is really, however, a drive/dirt multifx. Will it be up for the chop now you're loving the drive/dirt options on your Zoom B6? 

46 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The AS is really, however, a drive/dirt multifx. Will it be up for the chop now you're loving the drive/dirt options on your Zoom B6? 

No, it's one of the few that will stay, precisely because it can do so many different types of sound. I still want to keep a couple of dirt pedals, especially ones that I like on guitar, a compressor, octave... "just in case". The Aftershock is too good :)

• Like 2