Why become a member? ×

NBD Reverend Mercalli 4

Bassmidget209

So this weekend I got my third ever bass (first one for 19 years!). I've been oggling reverends for a few years now and felt the split coil /bridge humbucker combo to be the best option for me (I've never enjoyed the bridge single coil sound much). 

Every single sound is useable both pickups sound great, I genuinely can't believe how much of a difference this has made to my sound. I was always of the opinion that amps and pedals had a bigger overall influence on your tone but I'm very happy to be proven wrong. Even my amp sounds ten times better, which I have never been fully happy with. Overall very chuffed 😁

IMG_20221128_220243.jpg

• Like 14

It's a fender Mexico jazz bass from the early 2000s. 

Full disclosure this bass has been through a lot with me. It got professionally converted to a PJ (SD quarter pounder set) very early on in it's life. Never got on with the pj set, used it almost exclusively as a p bass but at the same time never got the sound I wanted from it consistently. I frequently felt something was missing from it but assumed it was my ears. A couple of years ago I converted to flats, first Ernie Ball cobalt's flats, more recently Labellas. I feel ultimately I prefer flat wounds and intend to get flats on the reverend. The new roundwounds maybe part of the reason the Mercalli sounds different. At the same time I had a brief dalliance with rounds earlier this year and came to the same conclusion I always did with them - they sound really clangy and fizzy when new and take a few months to break in. So long story short Mexican fender jazz with flats. 

I may simply be in the honeymoon period but so far it's an excellent start to the relationship!