Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 scratchplate

funkydoug

If you’ll indulge me…

my all time favourite bass is a Stingray 5 for lots of good reasons, but the most superficial of them is that they just look amazing!

Does anyone know if that kind of larger, angular scratch plate could be used on a 4 string ray too? I’d be happy to get one made.  While I can find a lot to love about the regular 4 string stingray, I can’t get away with the look of the scratchplate and control plate.

Yeah, this is trivial and superficial… but it’s basschat. If I had something more meaningful to do I’d be doing it instead of reading about bass guitars🤣

I wouldn't mess with a 5, the original design works perfectly in my view! The pickguard+control plate layout on an SR4 looks a bit messy to me but I've been playing one for the last couple of years and have grown used to it. In fact, I now almost like it! it's just part of the unique character of an SR4.

• Like 1

Couple of things spring to mind.. the 4 pickup is a little smaller than the 5. Under the 5 plate, between the pickup and controls, there's routing for controls, look at the switch.

I'd be inclined to do some mockups in cardboard, then once finalised you can give that/those to someone who makes plates for a really neat job. That's unless you have those cutting and chamfering skills yourself, in which case the world is your oyster*. 

*Other shellfish, and vegetarian options, are available.

• Like 1