Why become a member? ×

Joyo Ma 10 b too much buzz

Bald Eagle

I've just got this mini amp from Thomann but it's nearly unusable because of a loud to very loud hum/buzz at around full volume and gain. Perhaps my basses need screening because the same effect, although so quiet as to not notice before, is there with my other amps. The noise gets much quieter (but still intrusive with the Joyo) when I touch the strings/bridge/pegs. It's loud with the CIJ Mustang and less loud with the MIJ Jazz. The Jazz has no screening but I haven't looked inside the Mustang yet.

Any help/comments gratefully received, thanks BCers.

Any amp will produce hum/buzz at full volume and gain. Your other amps are probably more powerful, meaning you don't have to run them flat out, so the noise floor stays further below the signal. That won't be the case with the Joyo because it has to be maxxed just to give sufficient volume. The fact that buzz deceases when you touch the strings/bridge suggests an earthing issue, too. There's a limit to what you get for 35 quid.

I own one since it went out, and these are really good tiny amps for practicing or checking out if an instrument is working.

I use mine with an external power bank and put some rubber feet under as it has a tendency to vibrate on a flat surface.

The buzz noise is simply due to a non perfect shielding.

I already explained how to make it, and in this case the continuity test is your enemy... as the problem is linked to antennas understanding.

Believe what you want, but it's strange that nobody believes me until they try my shielding : dead silent and you can let go of the hands of the strings, there's no buzz and no feedback buzz when touching them again...

I explained my process to a desperate luthier upon recommendations of a mutual friend, and he called me an hour later, he was so excited that he said it was almost magical: absolutely no noise on a hollow body guitar with single coils that was a nightmare, and which his owner is now using widely on stage and in the studio without fearing anything buzzing.

I really think telling people how to solve their problems easily is a complete waste of time: they need non working complex solutions...

The infamous "You know, it's not that easy" is something I can't stand anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 25/11/2022 at 20:47, Hellzero said:

Believe what you want, but it's strange that nobody believes me until they try my shielding : dead silent and you can let go of the hands of the strings, there's no buzz and no feedback buzz when touching them again...

Care to post a description/illustration?

• Like 1