Why become a member? ×

Stubzy's Road Testz - Orange Terror Bass

Stub Mandrel

I got the Bass Terror about a year ago. Coupled with a GR BASS AT212 slim (4 ohm version so I get the full 500W on tap), it's been my main rig for rehearsing and gigging with the busier of the two bands I'm in.

The combo has an excellent sound for the sort of blues-rock I'm playing in the 'power trio' so just one (normally overdriven) guitar to compete with. We have a quite sensible stage volume and even for small gigs I go through the PA so the ample power on tap has never really been explored, master volume never gets past 9 o'clock. I did turn up past halfway at rehearsal once, but it was scary and I was audible outside the village hall and 100 yards down the hill...

So... raw power isn't an issue. The sounds is great, rumour has it that there's a fair 'scoop' built in. I usually run the tone controls close to flat with a touch of treble and bass boost and rely on playing with pickup selection and tone on the bass I'm playing. Sometimes the PA is too bass heavy and I boost the treble. I always DI out of the amp, with ground lift on, although any hum issues we've had have always come from something else in the end. I wind the gain up to anywhere between 2 and 4 o'clock depending on how hot the bass is (Jazz with 62 PUPs needs more gain than Epiphone with humbuckers or P-bass). This gives me a very controllable sound, from clean to a nice growl or even a clank if I dig in without a huge leap in volume. It's very easy to find the sweet spot for different basses. Sound is good - so good, everyone hearing it for the first time seems to compliment it. At a beer festival gig, the sound man said I sounded like Jack Bruce (which may not be a good thing...) I've stopped using effects for several months, but may start reintroducing some, but the setup works brilliantly with or without.

The weight of the amp is not great, with the AT212 I can carry a cased bass in one hand, speaker in the other and amp over my shoulder in its bag and have enough power to play any stage IMHO. Own downside, when using an octaver one night, the amp nearly vibrated off the cab. Since then, I keep it in place with an (orange) ratchet strap over the top and through the cab handles. The bag is nice, but three of its four feet fell off quite quickly. The fourth stubbornly refuses to come off, despite me trying to persuade it. The front pocket just holds a speakon lead, a  kettle lead and its europlug extension. I keep meaning to swap over with an extra long kettle lead. Zips are heavy duty. The handle warmer velcros in place, and is sort of worth using but looks silly so I take it off during gigs.

One gig the amp started buzzing, realised it was mechanical so did a few gigs with it on the floor. Turned out that the internal shield had started to touch the valve covers causing a loud rattle. Was easy to gently bend the cover, so this doesn't happen, but required 14 screws to be undone and replaced! This was a bit disappointing, I noticed that the other side of this cover has a sponge strip so it doesn't rattle against the outer cover. Ideally, the valves should be fitted 1/8" or 3mm further forwards.

Other than these minor issues, the amp is perfect for what I want. Note that it has a clean setting and a pad switch for active basses, but I definitely wanted the Orange sound - a good rich overdrive but not an insane one. I'm also a total convert to the idea of a real valve preamp with a class D power stage.

20221001_205216.thumb.jpg.39abcee3e4e61c484ffcf7218621ee15.jpg

image.thumb.png.fcf7792685f7f0c1deb59da4df45e06e.png

image.thumb.png.f933913a8365d6f7739f3c840c88ecc5.png

• Like 8

Really interesting, thanks Stub. I have the same cab, and it is truly thunderous! I have been tempted by the Orange, so it was a weird coincidence that i saw your review. I have the GR Dual amp at present, very powerful and loads of features, but……. Yeah, you know. Its a character thing. The Terror seems to ooze warmth and character…..

thanks again. 

• Like 1

My first Terror V2 came faulty and shutdown, to be fair it had been knocked around in transit ( new )
My second Terror was ok but I didn’t like how dark it sounded so I sent it on its way. I wanted to like it but actually found the LBT a nicer sounding amp with more EQ options. 

I did like the warmth and drive tone from the Terror and it’s a very loud 500w amp 

Edited by BassAdder60

On 23/11/2022 at 09:13, BassAdder60 said:

My first Terror V2 came faulty and shutdown, to be fair it had been knocked around in transit ( new )
My second Terror was ok but I didn’t like how dark it sounded so I sent it on its way. I wanted to like it but actually found the LBT a nicer sounding amp with more EQ options. 

I did like the warmth and drive tone from the Terror and it’s a very loud 500w amp 

It fits what I want to sound like, but definitely won't suit those wanting a bright cutting sound.

• Like 1