Why become a member? ×

All Tube amp users

BassAdder60

Question 

How do you run your master volume ?

On my CTM100 I run it on max and adjust gain for final volume 

This gives lovely power tube warmth and growl I find yet keeps max clean headroom 

So are you an input gain up high and master volume to adjust final volume or

How I run mine ?

Just curious! 

Edited by BassAdder60

I have a Trace Elliot V6 and the main cab is a Mesa Powerhouse 6x10. How do I run the master volume? Very carefully.

Seriously, I run gain at or around 12 noon or less (depending on output of the bass) and the master to taste/decency. The amp is a clean machine and there is no real preamp tube grit in the traditional sense and power tube saturation only happens at a volume level that borders on inhumane, so the old 'run master on full and gain to taste' SVT trick to get more clean headroom is essentially redundant. As it is the master never really goes above about 10 o'clock. 

With a smaller cab I would probably run the master higher, that is about it.

Mine is a Weber Mywatt 200 which is a modern copy of the Hiwatt DR201. I run it with the input about 12 o'clock and the master to the required volume. It also has Bright and Normal inputs which I join together with a patch cable and you can then tweak each channel to your preference.