Why become a member? ×

Hofner Bass Owners Tailpiece Help Please

kristo

Hello all. I'm looking to replace a tailpiece on a bass I have with a Hofner one, but I'm struggling to find out anywhere the lengths of the different ones they offer. It seems my options are:

Hofner H62/9-F

Hofner H62/30-S

Hofner H62/32-N

Hofner H62/31-S

From what I can gather the first 3 are described as long by Hofner, but I'm not sure how long (from the hinge bit to the end). It seems they all have string spacing of 1 5/8", but I can't seem to find the lengths anywhere. It'd also be good to know the depth of the bit that screws to the body, as it'll be going on a fairly slim bass.

If anyone has a bass with one of these tailpieces could they please measure it and let me know? That would be much appreciated. Cheers.   

10 hours ago, kristo said:

...If anyone has a bass with one of these tailpieces could they please measure it and let me know?...

I've a couple; give me a few hours to hunt down something to measure with...

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

I do believe @Dad3353is a bit of a Hofner knowledge base - hopefully he'll have some ideas.

Knowledge base..? Not quite, but I'll measure up the basses I have.

Back shortly :friends: ... 

• Thanks 1

@kristo...

I measured the Verithin bass (500/7..), and the President bass (500/5...). Both have the 'long' tailpiece, measured at 150 mm from body binding to strings. The tail plate depth, where it screws into the body, are 27mm for the Verithin (normal, as it's very thin..!), and 35mm for the President.
From the pictures of the references above, I can't see any difference between the first and third except for the badge thingy on the first; the other two are definitely 'short'. I'd go for the third one (Hofner H62/32-N...) if I wanted to replace the President part; I doubt if any would fit the Verithin, but at a pinch, a 35 mm could be cut down to 27mm, as a work-around.
Hope this helps; photos please, of the resulting project..? :friends:

• Like 1