Why become a member? ×

Hipshot replacement for a 3 point

msb

When I first received my Gibson DC Jr I considered replacing the stock 3 point bridge. Now to be fair , I have several basses with 3 point bridges and I’ve always been able to place things exactly where I want without any drama. They are a bit of a misery to adjust. And the Hipshot is a sexy looking thing. 
And I finally managed to snag one for a good price. I love that little Jr bass , it’s probably my favourite thing to play. The transplant was easy, and it was dead simple to adjust and intonate. To be perfectly honest , I can’t see any huge tonal change. It is much easier to adjust, and I like the look a lot better. 
And if I see another for the right price I might put one on the SG. 

D14D2818-D940-4670-B5AD-0358DBCD7BA2.jpeg

• Like 4

It’s the stock pickup , but with a chrome cover and surround. I like the pickup a lot , it’s placed in the classic sweet spot , so despite being a short scale set neck , it works like a Pbass.

I saw a photo of a Jr with the chrome cover and surround and loved the look. I’m not normally one to mod instruments , but I’ve gone to tea on the Jr. 
They really are wonderful little basses.

• Like 1

Over the years I’ve acquired a bunch of classic basses , but these days I prefer shortscales. This is easily my favourite one to play , although I usually gig with a Longhorn simply because of the way it sits in the mix. But this Jr is the favourite. 

When these bridges came out (about ten years ago), I swapped out three or four on my Thunderbirds.  The Hipshot was a country mile ahead of the stock three-pointer.

Moving slightly forward, give some consideration to the Babicz replacement, which in my opinion is a country mile better than the Hipshot.  Interestingly, the design kind of apes the old three-pointer as well, so it looks a bit more in keeping with what it's there to replace.

Babicz-3pt-Bass-Bridge-Gibson-Thunderbir

• Like 2

I think it might have been Solo Guitars here in Canada , I just googled Tbird chrome pickup cover and went looking for a Canadian source so I wouldn’t have to deal with customs or duties. They’re quite a common part , and quite available. 

• 5 weeks later...

So yesterday I heard of a chrome Hipshot for sale by the Hipshot Factory Outlet on eBay. I was never aware of such a thing. Unfortunately they would not ship to Canada. I felt it wouldn’t hurt to ask … and they said that they would ship. They also asked for a photo of the bass I planned to install it on as there would be no returns. I sent a photo of my SG bass. All was good.

Now I’ve got to say the service and communication was wonderful. (thank you Ellen!)

It’s been shipped , I have a tracking number. 
It was a Christmas miracle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msb said:

So yesterday I heard of a chrome Hipshot for sale by the Hipshot Factory Outlet on eBay. I was never aware of such a thing. Unfortunately they would not ship to Canada. I felt it wouldn’t hurt to ask … and they said that they would ship. They also asked for a photo of the bass I planned to install it on as there would be no returns. I sent a photo of my SG bass. All was good.

Now I’ve got to say the service and communication was wonderful. (thank you Ellen!)

It’s been shipped , I have a tracking number. 
It was a Christmas miracle.

Whenever I’ve had direct dealings with Hipshot, they’ve always been very helpful, so this comes as no surprise. I look forward to seeing the installation on the SG.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It arrived today ! Faster than I expected. 
To be honest I could not see a blemish. It’s a factory second. I immediately emailed the Outlet let them know it was much faster than expected. I was told it would be delivered before Jan 24.

It certainly was. 
I have to say the Hipshot service was wonderful. 
So I think that’s going to be it for bridge swapping. I also have a Rumblekat , but I’m going to leave the 3point on that.

3A89D420-D212-4824-8D67-9F0CA0723940.jpeg

• Like 3

On 30/12/2022 at 22:45, msb said:

It arrived today ! Faster than I expected. 
To be honest I could not see a blemish. It’s a factory second. I immediately emailed the Outlet let them know it was much faster than expected. I was told it would be delivered before Jan 24.

It certainly was. 
I have to say the Hipshot service was wonderful. 
So I think that’s going to be it for bridge swapping. I also have a Rumblekat , but I’m going to leave the 3point on that.

3A89D420-D212-4824-8D67-9F0CA0723940.jpeg

That looks awesome!

If one wanted to put that on a bass without a 3 point currently, does it come with the anchor bits that go into the body or do you have to have a bass with those already?

This is a replacement bridge for the Gibson 3 point , which has three anchors drilled into the body. It comes with metric and US screws (for Epis and Gibsons). 
They make quite a number of other bridges for other styles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msb said:

This is a replacement bridge for the Gibson 3 point , which has three anchors drilled into the body. It comes with metric and US screws (for Epis and Gibsons). 
They make quite a number of other bridges for other styles.

i have an SG style bass i'm currently modifying that has a BadAss I bridge. this hipshot would look the business, but sourcing and drilling for the anchors is probably a step too far.