Why become a member? ×

Best 5 or 6 string for soloing?

Billy Bongo

On 03/12/2022 at 20:36, itu said:

Gamba is a 7-string instrument. There were also models with less and more strings. Check the works of Marin Marais and de Sainte-Colombe from the movie Tous les matins du monde.

Domenico Dragonetti was a double bass virtuoso who played 3-string bass among others, and has composed some very tricky stuff.

Electric 4-string virtuosos are quite numerous, Stanley Clarke being one of the earlier fretted masters. His instrument is a short scale tenor bass (A, D, G, C). Fretless composer and player is naturally Jaco Pastorius.

Jimmy Johnson is behind the idea of the five string electric bass. Gary Willis and Bunny Brunel are 5-string fretless masters.

John Patitucci is known for his work with 6-string bass.

Of course there are multistring basses, as well as The Stick.

From this I actually think that the best solo bass instrument is the one with which you produce/compose/play the best program you ever can. We can go into technical details starting from strings, string spacings, electronics, fret & fretboard materials, pickups and their positions... and when everything is ready, we could find your optimal instrument.

But we are on thin ice, if the instrument does not talk to you. Specs is one thing, but playability and personality can only be found by trying and playing many different basses.

Many thanks for that comprehensive run down, Ito. I know most of them and like the work of John Patitucci and many others. You have it right when you say 'if the instrument does not talk to you' - if it feels like a block of wood with strings, it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

According to your budget go the Ibanez road (lane?) @Billy Bongo and as @itu wrote if the instruments doesn't talk to you, try another one. 😉

Thanks, I will. I am easily impressed having played some right junk in my time, so Ibanez is probably right until I get a gig that pays more than £50!

Isn't the answer to the original question 

"Whatever bass you feel comfortable soloing on"  Surely, any bass is possible to play solos on although I guess if you want to get a specific tone like a Jaco sound a fretless jazz might give you the edge. It's like asking what the best colour is.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Welcome to the club @Billy Bongo and I'm only 57 years old.

Honestly I really don't understand this revival for the crap of the 60's and 70's that were called basses back in the day and which were only firewood... 😉

Have to agree. I had an original PB and the tonal range was limited, but it suited bands where the bass was only a background, so as long as there was a thump, which the PB did well, the lead and the skin basher were happy. My first bass was a Vox Clubman short scale - still have it - but it was a plank. Having said that my 64 Burns Bison with Rezomatic pickups through a decent Marshall causes nose bleeds, spontaneous deafness and removes plaster from walls, so they were not all bad.😳😜

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, leschirons said:

Isn't the answer to the original question 

"Whatever bass you feel comfortable soloing on"  Surely, any bass is possible to play solos on although I guess if you want to get a specific tone like a Jaco sound a fretless jazz might give you the edge. It's like asking what the best colour is.  

For me yes and no. I can do solos on anything - usually badly - as I'm sure anyone on here can, but some guitars have a natural tone that appeals and some are dead wood, so not sure I agree with your comment about asking what the best colour is. But it is all subjective. Nice pic btw!