Why become a member? ×

Advice on replacing SSL2+ for audio interface with more inputs?

Oomo

I'm not much of a home recorder, but have been using an SSL2+ for recording bass and a powered mic (it's also useful for skype lessons).

I'd like to also start adding some keyboard/synth to the mix, so would like something a bit like the SSL2+, but which also lets me record from a keyboard, and also have midi inputs.

Some requirements I can think of:

* phantom power for mic

* bass input (obviously...) - I know some have impedance switches for this, but that's beyond my knowledge

* keyboard/other audio input

* midi input

* USB-C connector (mostly connect to a Mac laptop which only has USB-C)

* headphone output (I use the SSL2+'s headphone out for silent practice a lot)

* gain controls for the different inputs

No particular budget in mind, happy to pay more for something quality, but I don't need a top end studio quality interface.

Any ideas/suggestions to look into? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to all this stuff I'm afraid (the SSL2+ was from a friend that wasn't using it, seems great, but only has 2 inputs).

Maybe there's also some other approach that means I don't have to replace the SSL2+?

Edited by Oomo

If it's the SSL2+ rather then the SSL2 then it should have two MIDI I/O sockets at the back. These are the sockets that look like the really old mouse/keyboard inputs, only bigger. The SSL2 has no MIDI, but as @skidder652003 says you have options, either to plug into the USB port on your computer or use a jack and record the analogue audio coming from the keyboard. I've done the former and it works, but was a real pain to find the driver for my very old keyboard.

Good luck. If you do want to replace your interface, I will say the one you have is a mighty fine one so don't be too disappointed if your replacement doesn't quite stack up, unless you're prepared to splash cash. I own the SSL2+ and an Audient iD44. The latter is better, but not by a country mile and it doesn't even do MIDI!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chyc said:

If it's the SSL2+ rather then the SSL2 then it should have two MIDI I/O sockets at the back.

Good spot, it does indeed. That takes care of midi then :)

Only thing I'm really missing then is a 3rd audio input for the keyboard output (when not sending midi signals).

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to audio setup, so would be great to have mic/bass/keyboard/etc. plugged into an interface all the time, and be able to record and listen to input via headphones, without having to unplug one and plug in another each time I want to swap between things. Separate gain control for each input is really nice too.

36 minutes ago, Oomo said:

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to audio setup, so would be great to have mic/bass/keyboard/etc. plugged into an interface all the time, and be able to record and listen to input via headphones, without having to unplug one and plug in another each time I want to swap between things. Separate gain control for each input is really nice too.

It's interface replacement time I'm afraid if that's your requirement. There are bodges to allow for e.g. two dual input interfaces to record simultaneously (Google ASIO4ALL if you're interested) but they're bodges and I couldn't get it working when I tried. Some interfaces allow for additional inputs. The Audient iD44 that I own is one such interface, but the SSL2+ most definitely is not.

So, with that said I can recommend the iD44, although without the MIDI you'll instead have to use USB or possibly the SSL2+'s MIDI I/O. The iD44 has the benefit of input expansion of up to 20 analogue inputs via its ADAT input, but you'd need to spend even more money for those.

2 minutes ago, chyc said:

That looks to only have two analogue inputs, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Hmm... I was going by the specs page at: https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m4/specs/

It said it has:

Mic/line/guitar: 2x XLR/TRS "combo jack" mic/line/Hi-Z guitar inputs Independent preamp gain, 48V phantom power and monitor switch for each input

Analog inputs: 2x 1/4" line in

So I thought bass and mic in the front inputs, and keyboard in the back one? Though I mostly have no idea what I'm doing, so just starting my research on this :D

But there's also no gain control for the inputs on the back... so maybe I need to check again...

Ah, I see now, they're on the back. Line in technically doesn't need any gain, because it's receiving stuff at a standard line level. Your keyboard may well have a line-out option so you may just get away with the Motu for your needs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chyc said:

Ah, I see now, they're on the back. Line in technically doesn't need any gain, because it's receiving stuff at a standard line level. Your keyboard may well have a line-out option so you may just get away with the Motu for your needs.

I'm far more used to the simplicity of basses/amps - plug in instrument cable, sound comes out :) I definitely need to read up on line level outputs, balanced vs. unbalanced, hi/low impedance, etc. etc.

3 minutes ago, Oomo said:

I'm far more used to the simplicity of basses/amps - plug in instrument cable, sound comes out :) I definitely need to read up on line level outputs, balanced vs. unbalanced, hi/low impedance, etc. etc.

Don't, you'll go mad!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Audient iD44 is excellent, but the Volt 4 by UA is very good as well, as is the Apollo X4 if you want to spend some serious cash...

Thanks, will check those out too.

The Apollo X4 looks great...but looks like it costs more than my bass and amp put together :D

1 hour ago, Oomo said:

Thanks, will check those out too.

The Apollo X4 looks great...but looks like it costs more than my bass and amp put together :D

Yup, thats the problem with the serious UAD2 kit... The Volt range is brilliant, particularly the Volt 476, which has very useful 1176 emulations on the inputs. Importantly they sound as good as the SSL or Audient offerings.

• Like 1