Why become a member? ×

'Important measurements' moan

NikNik

We've all been there with replacement parts that don't quite align with each other and need work, easy or otherwise to get them to match up. I'm currently putting together a parts bass using a body from a Fender Road Worn Jazz and a new, WD Products direct replacement neck. The neck pretty much dropped right in (after a bit of rough-sanding the pocket) but when I went to fit the Gotoh ferrules they weren't 'push-fit'. I had an authentic vintage Fender set looked out as well and they didn't fit, either!

The specs of the WD neck ferrule holes are 17.4mm whilst the Gotoh ferrules are 17.6mm but I reckon the latter are out by a bit more than 0.2mm. I've had this across every aftermarket neck and tuners, with Wilkinson sometimes being the worst offenders. To that end, I bought a couple of hand reaming tools a few years ago and it looks like they're going to get used again. 

• Like 1

On 02/11/2022 at 10:53, NikNik said:

We've all been there with replacement parts that don't quite align with each other and need work, easy or otherwise to get them to match up. I'm currently putting together a parts bass using a body from a Fender Road Worn Jazz and a new, WD Products direct replacement neck. The neck pretty much dropped right in (after a bit of rough-sanding the pocket) but when I went to fit the Gotoh ferrules they weren't 'push-fit'. I had an authentic vintage Fender set looked out as well and they didn't fit, either!

The specs of the WD neck ferrule holes are 17.4mm whilst the Gotoh ferrules are 17.6mm but I reckon the latter are out by a bit more than 0.2mm. I've had this across every aftermarket neck and tuners, with Wilkinson sometimes being the worst offenders. To that end, I bought a couple of hand reaming tools a few years ago and it looks like they're going to get used again. 

when you say 'push fit', do you mean you can push them in by hand.

When I've installed the ferrules into headstock I usually use a fly-press and so the hole needs to be slightly smaller than the ferrule, so that it can't rattle loose

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, police squad said:

when you say 'push fit', do you mean you can push them in by hand.

When I've installed the ferrules into headstock I usually use a fly-press and so the hole needs to be slightly smaller than the ferrule, so that it can't rattle loose

Yeh, they're advertised as such.

I think it's the WD neck. It's a fuller profile than I expected and the 'board is a SLAB, alright! It's very playable but I'm thinking of taking a radius block to it!

20221109_110827_resized.jpg

20221109_110856_resized.jpg

20221109_110905_resized.jpg

• Like 1