Why become a member? ×

Comping with a high C

bassist_lewis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really play 5 with a high C. Never comped a singer though practise chords and voice leading quite a bit.

My first influence for chords on bass was Oteil Burbridge and notice he has lots of new content cropping up. Haven't checked it out yet though 

Andres Rot is a good example of a bassist that comps a singer. He has loads of videos and a few instructional ones with Scott's Bass Lessons. Although if you know you're basic triads, inversions and how to harmonise typical modes/scales then you might not get much from them.

https://instagram.com/andresrot?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Think Todd Johnson had some material on chords/comping but is mainly a 6 string player. Should be able to do most of it the same though.

• Like 1

Having dabbled in (and subsequently rejected) the E-C thing I got a lot out of working through parts of The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick; there's a couple of chapters that have some really heavy exercises on voice leading and some different ways of voicing chords (drop-2, etc) that might open up some new avenues for you - I found that working on spread triad voicings gave me a lot of useful material that could be applied even in a non-jazz situation.

58 minutes ago, TKenrick said:

Having dabbled in (and subsequently rejected) the E-C thing I got a lot out of working through parts of The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick; there's a couple of chapters that have some really heavy exercises on voice leading and some different ways of voicing chords (drop-2, etc) that might open up some new avenues for you - I found that working on spread triad voicings gave me a lot of useful material that could be applied even in a non-jazz situation.

I was also going to mention the Tim Miller/Goodrich book too Creative Chordal Harmony for Guitar generic modal compression. I've worked through most of the book a few times and applied the shapes that could be played on 5 string and just chose a few favourites of both open and clusters that I both like the sound and don't cripple my hands playing. Thought it may be a bit out there as a choice but worth a look maybe. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up Janek Gwizdala's chordal harmony books and that gave me my start; from there I leaned on a teacher to show me some jazz voicings, with a goal to taking on the role of the jazz guitar accompanist. Not sure that my theory will get to any advanced level, but I'm currently working with a couple of singers on developing voice + bass (e-c) duets and using 3 and 4 voiced chords. Mostly pop, with some jazz elements.

Besides Janek's books (which it sounds like you don't need), the only quasi-"advanced" resources I can recommend are, as previously mentioned, Andres Rotmistrovsky's YT channel and lessons.  However, Danny Ziemann just released an album of upright/voice duets with Valerie Costa and exploring how he's approaching accompaniment (and soloing) has been fascinating and educational.

Edited by Jeff Elkins
  • Like 1