Why become a member? ×

Bass Cellar Londinium

The Burpster

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='50579' date='Aug 25 2007, 03:12 PM']Every time I go to London I (stupidly) make a bee-line for Denmark St, every time I am completely uninspired by all the shops. IMHO overpriced and not very customer friendly. For example one of the shops wanted a whopping £1400 for a new T'Bird, another shop just along the road wanted an even whoppinger £1200 for a used T'Bird... my Mrs asked me why I had a long face and I said that I could get almost everything they had for cheaper in t'north or off the internet.

Don't think I'll bother next time.

Richard[/quote]
I once stupidly tried to take my very nice 80s japanese tokai ('58 korina) Flying vee into one of the shops in Denmark street after seeing that they had sold one with a price ticket of £600. I thought I'd see what they'd offer me including the hard case. I would have taken £300, but was only offered £200 max. I later sold it privately for £450. I can't understand how they get the secondhand stock. Would the previous owner of the t-bird (in Vasquez Rich's post above) have taken just £400 for it originally? I guess the ticket price allows some haggling room, but the mark up seems to be rather excessive to me, especially as a lot of secondhand stuff doesn't seem to be particularly well set up.

There are three shops worth checking out on Denmark Street.

Wunjo (as mentioned above): friendly staff with a quirky selection of instruments. They once let me sit there trying out 7 different bass guitars and an upright when everyone knew I had no intention of buying anything that day.

Vintage & Rare: friendly staff but more importantly they have the best selection of, well, vintage and rare guitars and basses. And they'll let you try out anything regardless of how much it costs.

Music Ground: friendly enough staff but more importantly they are the place to go for boutique effects/guitar amps. They'll let you try anything out too. Prices are a little too high though. So try instore and buy online.

As for the Bass Cellar, their staff will let you try anything out. And they occasionally have the odd thing in stock that the Bass Centre or Gallery don't have. So again, it can be a good place for trying things out.