Why become a member? ×

Equinox SpectraPix Batten - any experiences?

Paul S

My little band are toying with the idea of maybe getting some lighting.  Maybe.  We only play small pubs, generally, when providing our own gear.  Floor space is generally not vast, which kind of removes those party bars on stands from the equation.  Don't want to spend lots.  I've looked at LEDs that can clip onto pa stands etc but my eye was caught by this one - the Equinox SpectraPix Batten.  2 would suffice.  They can stand upright, with a little end stand gizmo, can be connected via DMX cable to work together.  Obvs don't need to have lots of chasing effects going on, looks like you can do what you like with the programming/good choice of presets - most likely simple colour washes.  

Does anyone use them?  or anything similar that is around the same price?  There would be around £150 for a pair, plus a bit for the end stands/cable/carry bag.

They look really good and great value too. We use a pair of ADJ Vbar Paks on the floor at stage front which are a lot smaller but still really bright. They work well but I think the vertical option with your Equinox ones would make it more flexible. I would buy them....

Edited by Mudpup
  • Thanks 1

Those Spectrapix look cool.

I've got a bigger dmx controlled  lighting rig and also a small one - for the smaller rig we wanted something that we could either have on the floor or strap to PA stands.

We've got 4 Novostella outdoor LED lights - the 25w ones on Amazon. They seem to fluctuate in price, pretty sure I got them for about £25 a pair but now more like £40. You can fix colours or have them change - they are small enough just to cable tie to stands and are made from pretty substantial metal so also work well just sat on the floor. I did put a bit of frosted film over the glass as the LEDs are quite dazzling when shining up at you/audience - remote control option is fine, didn't want the faff of an app.

I also got a couple of the little plastic dome lights (just the cheapies) and sit these at the back shining up on the ceiling - they move and are surprisingly effective. 

This is the option we use in small spaces or when I just can't be bothered to lug the full rig 🙂

Edited by redbandit599
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, redbandit599 said:

We've got 4 Novostella outdoor LED lights - the 25w ones on Amazon. They seem to fluctuate in price, pretty sure I got them for about £25 a pair but now more like £40. You can fix colours or have them change - they are small enough just to cable tie to stands and are made from pretty substantial metal so also work well just sat on the floor. I did put a bit of frosted film over the glass as the LEDs are quite dazzling when shining up at you/audience - remote control option is fine, didn't want the faff of an app.

They actually look really good.  Can you sync them via the app?

Edit, yes you can.  Most interesting!

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1

That is astonshingly bright for such little inexpensive things.  They may well have been promoted up the interest order!  Amazon saying £109 for 4, haven't checked anywhere else yet :) Thank you for posting about them!  

• Like 1

These are the 25 watt ones - you could get more powerful ones and turn them down which might be handy.

Just checked and I paid £33.99 for two, the guitarist bought the other pair so may be worth hanging on for Black Friday or some other offer if you want to save a bit.

I think they give a good spread of light as they are designed to floodlight outside.

I got a sample piece of frosted window privacy film from Ebay to go over the lens to take the harshness down, lot cheaper than 'proper' filters and does the job well - LED so they don't get hot.

• Thanks 1

I bought 4 of these smart floodlights (got a message from the seller, as sometimes happens, offering £37.99 for two) and they arrived today.  Controlled via the app they are extremely versatile, easy to use, extremely compact AND cheap.  Perfect for our situation.  So many thanks for the heads up @redbandit599 :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

I bought 4 of these smart floodlights (got a message from the seller, as sometimes happens, offering £37.99 for two) and they arrived today.  Controlled via the app they are extremely versatile, easy to use, extremely compact AND cheap.  Perfect for our situation.  So many thanks for the heads up @redbandit599 :) 

You're welcome. Hope they work well for you.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...