Why become a member? ×

1966 Rickenbacker 4001

Burns-bass

12 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

This is market rate for these.
A ‘60 4001S recently sold for £23k!

Still cheaper than a ‘61 Jazz! 😬

Fair enough, I hadn't realised! I'm sure that if you had cash in your hand (18 grand I am now informed) and you visited some vintage dealers you might get a better deal for your money maybe, providing you could find a suitable bass.

Thinking about it , I see far fewer vintage Rickenbacker basses for sale than vintage Fenders. I suppose the law of supply and demand means that old Rick's will go for big money. It just seems like there's  always more demand for old Fenders .

Without wishing to be controversial, in my experience it's hard enough to get fairly recent Rickenbacker basses to play well ( for my taste anyway). What chance would I have with an old one?

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Fair enough, I hadn't realised! I'm sure that if you had cash in your hand (18 grand I am now informed) and you visited some vintage dealers you might get a better deal for your money maybe, providing you could find a suitable bass.

Thinking about it , I see far fewer vintage Rickenbacker basses for sale than vintage Fenders. I suppose the law of supply and demand means that old Rick's will go for big money. It just seems like there's  always more demand for old Fenders .

literally the reason. Old fenders are in demand but also reasonably common so if you wanted a 1966 fender jazz for instance, there are quite a few around and you can pick and choose, they pop up all the time. However, if you want something like this, you really don't see them very often, when one appears there are going to be quite a few people going for the same item. 
it's not like these instruments are going to be played or gigged

• Like 1