Why become a member? ×

Compare Barefaced to higher end cabs

Delberthot

I'm not sure how this one will pan out but I'm sure that Alex's cabs will outperform most, if not all of the regularly available commercial cabs.

What I would like to know is how they compare to the higher end stuff.

I've used the regular stuff for years but decided to go with the Schroeder 1212L a couple of years ago. It takes a good few gigs to get the meat of the bass to shine through but it is a formidable cab.

The regular stuff being Trace 1513, 410H and Ashdown ABM115 mainly.

I've already made up my mind that when I get a valve amp I'll get myself on the list for a Vintage but in the meantime would like to know how my cab stacks up against the Barefaced cabs.

I love being able to speak to the people who are making the products and is one of the main reasons I have my Warmoth/Genz/Schroeder setup rather than the mass produced stuff from faceless companies. It means that I can speak to the people making them and find out exactly what i am getting.

On a side note, I remember Alex's first post about buying the parts for his first cab and think its fantastic to find someone amongst us taking the risk and trying to come up with a better solution to all the square boxes us bass players are usually offered.

I don't know if a similar thread could be setup for regular cabs but hope that this one can educate us as to the differences of the higher end stuff that Barefaced is now a part of.

When I refer to commercial cabs I am generally referring to the higher end models. The only reason my cabs are cheaper is because I'm selling them direct so I'm avoiding the typical 100% retailer mark-up. Double my prices and then you'll see the cabs that they're competing with (and beating) performance-wise.

If you look at the speakers I'm using, no-one else is using as potent a fullrange 15" as that in the Compact. Only one maker is using the beast that I use in the Big One and they're putting it in an undersized cab. No-one is using a midrange speaker that comes close to the output of that in the Big One. And no-one else is using a true high-order full crossover on a woofer/mid as used in the Big One.

Performance-wise you should compare the Compact with anything of similar size priced above £800, whilst the Big One is in the rarefied £1200+ region. But as a newcomer to the scene it would be very difficult to get anyone to pay that much without using endless hyperbole, carefully cooked specs and lots of sponsorship/endorsement 'deals'. :)

It'll be interesting to hear more real-world comparisons as people switch from the established boutiques to Barefaced!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='466632' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:48 AM']Performance-wise you should compare the Compact with anything of similar size priced above £800, whilst the Big One is in the rarefied £1200+ region. But as a newcomer to the scene it would be very difficult to get anyone to pay that much without using endless hyperbole, carefully cooked specs and lots of sponsorship/endorsement 'deals'. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Which is part of the reason why I'm getting my Compact sooner rather than later :)

S.P.