Why become a member? ×

Hello from the Scottish Borders (again!)

Kickass

Hello, I've been following the site from the other side of the pond for many years and have only recently been lurking on here. 

I've been playing guitar, bass and acting as a sound engineer for several decades playing with amateur bands locally and doing live sound a little further from home. I needed a loud acoustic bass for one major gig and ended up making my own bass banjo type instruments. I call it my Kickass Bass.

I also own a Fender Precision Lyte, Washburn Force 42 (headless), Washburn AB20, old Schecter Tele, Ibanez Roadstar II strat, Godin SolidAC and a pile of acoustic guitars. Currently using a PJB BG-400.

AB20 and KAB 01.jpg

kabb02.jpg

DSC_0911.JPG

Edited by Kickass
Accuracy

Thank you for the welcome.

I made a site which shows how they were made and has a Link page to various videos:

http://www.kickassbass.co.uk/

This is the band, as was, when I needed a loud acoustic. We are miming to a stereo recording made in the sitting room of the house in the background in a shot or two. A Zoom hand-held in the middle of the room. 

I have the parts for a fretless but need to put it together. I joined this forum to be able to purchase a neck from a member here.

Thank you for your interest.

Dane

Edited by Kickass
punctuation and links
  • Like 1

An excellent solution, and a very smart looking instrument. Great sound on the YT clips on your site.

I rather fancy copying your idea and I know where there is an unused rather tired kick-drum knocking about. (Un)fortunately it won't fit in my car.

Is the bridge attached to the front drum skin, that's not clear from the photos.

Edited by Richard R
Edited for grammar.

14 hours ago, Richard R said:

An excellent solution, and a very smart looking instrument. Great sound on the YT clips on your site.

I rather fancy copying your idea and I know where there is an unused rather tired kick-drum knocking about. (Un)fortunately it won't fit in my car.

Is the bridge attached to the front drum skin, that's not clear from the photos.

The key to this working is low tension strings, nylon core, the skin has a mylar patch to stop damage from the bridge, I have used double sided tape to stop the bridge jumping out. I play with a lot of energy in plucking, one fingered, The skin is supporting it and it needs to be central 20" drum means you don't have to cut half an inch of the butt of the neck! Deeper the drum the better the bottom end. I have just invested in bits for another and it'll come to around £150. A weekend would see one made but for glue drying. I have helped some who used normal electric strings but I break angle needs to be much less.

Thank you for the kind comments.

13 hours ago, dougieb said:

Hello and welcome, also located in the Scottish Borders.

I'm sure we know the same people and may even have played the same gig, up the Ettrick Valley in the cold? I play with Angie, Barny, Seoras, Hellbucket and Stig. Dane Ashby is who I am.

Cheers

D

Edited by Kickass
Detail
  • Like 1

Hi Dane, aye it was a cauld night up the Ettrick, where I stay. I know a few on that list! I play with Soul 56 and Medicine Hat. I played in the thrown together blues band at the end of the night at Cullum's wee gig.

Cheers!

Edited by dougieb