Why become a member? ×

McGregor Bassmate 650 Watt “Old School” Head - *SOLD*
£375
Leicester

Oldman

This is a reluctant, but necessary sale.

I bought this direct from Alan McGregor just before lockdown, never been gigged, rehearsed with twice, I paid list of £425.00 and clothed it in a ‘ Medium Robust case’ which cost me £46.50.  

I’m asking £375.00 for this absolute Gem of a bass head, be assured if my mobility was up to scratch this would be staying.

It sounds sublime through the GR’s  and other cabs I owned before my downsizing started. Alan’s pedigree in electronics goes back to the late 60’s in Liverpool with Sound systems, later disco equipment and on toBass Amplifiers and sounder inforcement. What attracted me is the 1U height and this is the second I have owned, the first being the Bassmate Combo a tidy little beast  a few years before this. Moved on because of the physical weight. This tips the scales at 12Kg. Read the blurb: 

Bassmate Series - Bass Amplifiers (Alan’s blurb from the Website)

The McGregor range of bass amplification provides all the features required to express your talent. We don’t offer a new lifestyle or a new image with our products, simply a product designed for a long and trouble free life. The tonal qualities, input options and extended headroom distinguish these amplifiers as exceptional products and the speakers simply mimic your chosen sound with effortless precision.

The Bassmate Amplifier is ideal for musicians looking for a compact and powerful amplifier solution and has a rear mounted line input and level control for those that want to practice to a backing track or simply expand the system. 

These amplifiers are suitable for double bass, bass guitar, acoustic guitar even violins as they feature a balanced XLR microphone input with switchable phantom power as well as a conventional high impedance instrument input. Active, Retro and deep push switch selection is standard on all models. The MOSFET CLASS AB, amplifier with active clip limiter and proportional speed fan ensures a high quality clean sound is delivered to the speaker system at all times. 

Features:

Passive input (1 Meg ohm) via the 6.3mm jack socket

Active input (10K ohm) is push switch selected and has an LED status indicator

The retro button is for that old style sound!

Mic / Pickup input via the XLR socket with a switchable phantom supply and LED status indicator

Comprehensive four band EQ centred on carefully selected frequencies

LF Filter variable between 50-150Hz @ 18dB / Octave

Parametric EQ, 245Hz-4K5Hz +8 to -12dB (Footswitch or front panel switchable with LED status indicator)

Input Gain and Master Volume control with convenient mute push switch with LED status indicator

Peak Programme Indicator LED shows onset of overdrive distortion

FX send and return loop on the rear panel (uses 6.3mm jack for in /out)

Tuner output on the rear panel (uses 6.3mm jack)

DI output is via a balanced line XLR socket mounted on front panel

Class AB mosfet amplifier with proportional speed fan and active clip limiter ensure stress free sound quality at all times

Specifications

Power Output (RMS) @ 1kHz 
Bassmate 650 - 650 watts RMS into 4 ohms 70% into 8 ohms

Microphone inputs: Balanced or unbalanced 3k3 - 5mV

Line level inputs: Unbalanced >22k - 200mV

Line output: Unbalanced <10k - 775mV (0dB)

Headroom: +22dB (PPI’s active @ +19dB)

Low EQ: +/- 12dB @ 50Hz

Low Mid EQ: +/- 10dB @ 360Hz

High Mid EQ: +/- 10dB @ 1K8Hz

High EQ: +/- 14dB @ 10kHz

Frequency response: 20Hz – 25kHz +/-0.5dB

D/C Protection: +/-32V

Signal to noise ratio: Better than 100dB

Clip Limiter: Active clip limiting (Internal variable threshold)

T.H.D. @ 1kHz rated power – <0.02%

Damping Factor: Better than 400

Slew Rate: 40V / uS

Mains Input Power: 230V +/-10% 50-60Hz

Options, Dimensions & Weights

Bassmate 650 - 650 Watts RMS into 4 ohms

Width: 400MM

Depth: 260MM

Height: 43MM

Weight: 12KG

Some Snaps

D0E9A3ED-C33D-43C5-96D8-4561F6997055.thumb.jpeg.b107be5bf6eb0f9225835c8686a50e3b.jpeg65AC820C-50E7-4BAC-A460-D731EEDF1B98.thumb.jpeg.c22854037e67d7aabf6f2dfe7d701183.jpeg

A5A76F69-8FEF-4FF7-A117-6A88F2BDCD13.thumb.jpeg.6359c44ecaad43367e4853701fa13582.jpeg

I’m looking for an outright sale, this is available for any trial here in Leicester. It’s heavy and that’s the only reason I want to sell, tones to die for, at a fraction of the cost of the more boutique and esoteric heads and only 1U

Thanks for looking 

Pssst: Possible trade for PJB C4 “Lite”  Silver Cone type

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 5

If your able to collect and happy with no carry case I will reduce the price by £50.00 squids. I will also deliver (subject to pre payment) within 50 miles without the case for a £25.00 reduction. Or you can make me an offer, a sensible offer, or you can come and try it, then buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

I would love to try something like this (i.e. British built, and that I've never come across before) but it's just too wide for my tiny little Purple Chili 1x10 cabs. :(

You do what I do, put them side by side  it’ll fit on top 🤫

• Oldman changed the title to SOLD: McGregor Bassmate 650 Watt “Old School” Head