Why become a member? ×

Mo Clifton Downright 36" headless

BassBod

This is a 36" scale headless - big neck on small body, not ultra light but has very good balance. Mahogany body with bubinga top, neck is three piece of bubinga/maple/bubinga. Ebony board.

Two passive Kent Armstrong pickups with series/par options on push/pull pots - vol/vol/tone. Has a battery box routed with wooden cover, but I never thought it needed a circuit.

[attachment=24009:DSCN0858.JPG]

[attachment=24010:DSCN0853.JPG]

Hardware is all ABM, comes with custom small gigbag and aluminium full flight case (well used but sound) See cliftonbasses.co.uk for background on Mo and his instruments.

Collection from Bristol/Bath - I'd recommend try before you buy, as this isn't exactly a jazz bass copy!

BB

Hi Brother,

Its a bolt-on - but they really are bolts, that go into nuts sunk into the end of the fingerboard, under the truss rod cover. I should also explain that it was made as a lined fretless, but I had it fretted about two years ago - you can see the stripes on the truss rod cover/end of fingerboard where Mo dyed the inlaid strips black.

[attachment=24022:DSCN0855.JPG]

BB

Hi Owen,

String spacing is adjustable (on rollers, like the Schaller 3D). I've never weighed it, and I'm not sure how to with any accuracey..but in relative terms its like a "solid" alder bodied fender (as oppsed to a heavy ash one) but with a much smaller body. I'll have a go on the bathroom scales later and see what I get.

Mo really (and I mean...Really) dislikes heavy instruments - it was a heavy Pbass that hurt his shoulder years ago and got him into making basses. I think I asked him for a solid bubinga body but he advised against it, and offered the mahog/bubinga option as a better choice. He was right.

BB