Why become a member? ×

Nut spacing: centre-centre, or edge-edge?

falling_in2_infinity

TLDR: I thought string spacing at the nut was always set evenly, based on the distance between string centres.  Seemingly this isn't always the case.  I was wondering what others' experiences where of this?

In reply to another topic on here, user @PaulThePlug suggested that not all bass (and guitar) nuts have even string spacing, with respect to string centre-centre measurements.  This is backed-up by this stewmac page:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/straightedges/string-spacing-rule-6282e9ad/

I wonder what other players' experience of this is?

Personally (as I've suggested to @PaulThePlug), the argument given on the stewmac page doesn't make immediate sense to me (YMMV).  Spacing at the nut will mostly affect the fretting hand and I tend to fret the top of the strings (which is necessarily the centre of the string), so I think it would feel more natural if all the strings were evenly spaced centre-centre.  I think all my basses are set up with centre-centre nut spacing (my MM Bongo, Ibanez SR, and Steinberger Spirit certainly are)... I need to check my Sandberg and Spectors.

However, it got me thinking about my plucking hand, and bridge spacing.  As many plucking/picking techniques strike the edge of the string (to some extent), perhaps the bridge spacing should be evenly spaced edge-edge rather than centre-centre.  I wonder if this would especially improve picking accuracy for new players.

Edited by falling_in2_infinity

I've read this a couple of times now and it still isn't making any sense.  I'm assuming that you're saying there's two schools of thought; #1 the nut slots need to be cut in the centre of each string diameter (and equidistant) and #2 the slots need to be cut to accommodate even gap spacing between the strings themselves?  

If you look at this image (first one I found), the gaps between the strings look fairly even:

image.jpg?id=25727744&width=550&quality=

...let's do this metrically and try to keep it simple. 

Assume the equivalent string gauges for a 5-string set are 40/60/80/100/125 inches - so roughly 1.0/1.5/2.0/2.5/3.0 mm, the 3.0mm B-string would have a 1.5mm radial overhang from the centre point.  Assuming you wanted the strings to have equal gaps (let's assume a 1cm gap), the math would point to the nut slots moving .25mm less per string from B-G.  So you'd have the B-string slot, the B-E distance would be 11.25mm, E-A 11mm, A-D 10.75mm, the D-G 10.5mm.

Visually, different string gauges (going back to imperial here) for any of the strings within the set would be fairly indistinguishable; for example an extra light E might be 0.090" up to 0.110"), but I doubt whether we'd really perceive a .020" difference if we were using a balanced set of strings (ie 30/50/70/90 against a 40/6/80/100 set or .050 to .110s)

To be honest I've never really thought about this; we should be playing more and not worrying too much about stuff like this!

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've read this a couple of times now and it still isn't making any sense.  I'm assuming that you're saying there's two schools of thought; #1 the nut slots need to be cut in the centre of each string diameter and #2 the slots need to be cut to accommodate even gap spacing between the strings themselves?  

To be honest I've never really thought about this.  We worry too much about things like this rather than just playing!

Apologies.  I've re-written it in an attempt to add clarity - but yes, your summary is correct.

I'd never thought about it either.  It just made me curious about others' experiences.

20 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Assume the equivalent string gauges for a 5-string set are 40/60/80/100/125 inches - so roughly 1.0/1.5/2.0/2.5/3.0 mm, the 3.0mm B-string would have a 1.5mm radial overhang from the centre point.  Assuming you wanted the strings to have equal gaps (let's assume a 1cm gap), the math would point to the nut slots moving .25mm less per string from B-G.  So you'd have the B-string slot, the B-E distance would be 11.25mm, E-A 11mm, A-D 10.75mm, the D-G 10.5mm.

Visually, different string gauges (going back to imperial here) for any of the strings within the set would be fairly indistinguishable; for example an extra light E might be 0.090" up to 0.110"), but I doubt whether we'd really perceive a .020" difference if we were using a balanced set of strings (ie 30/50/70/90 against a 40/6/80/100 set or .050 to .110s)

Yep, I concur with this.  The stewmac page has a focus on guitars, and those differences would definitely be too small for my fingers to notice.  Maybe that's why I'm a bass player. 😁

For completeness:

Sandberg California TM2 5-string. Zero fret, ~9mm c-c spacing:

20220901_203519.thumb.jpg.d1525ef6c7f9e10b71d0fa039d71a8d8.jpg

Spector NS Pulse II, ~9mm c-c spacing.

20220901_203443.thumb.jpg.acb9e5ac593c61fef977e7cef5d1402d.jpg

I also measured my Ibanez SR505F, and it's the same... But no photo because it's in a mess. 🤣😥

Edited by falling_in2_infinity

Trouble is, I'm getting more curious the more I think about it.  I suppose at least I know that all my basses are 9mm evenly-spaced c-c, and that I'm happy with that particular configuration.  I do wonder if sometimes when I've tried a bass and it's felt odd under the hand, if it maybe had an irregular nut spacing.