Why become a member? ×

Ray 34 Intonation

EJWW

When I set the intonation on my Ray34 by measuring the harmonic at the 12th fret then checking the fretted tone and adjusting as needed until perfect I noticed a problem: once I've got it perfect at the 12th fret I checked the tuning at the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets and the tuning was out (sharp).

I've never noticed this before but I'm convinced I can actually hear it now I'm listening out for it. 

Is this normal and can anything be done about it?

Is this the reason why fan fret basses were invented? 

51 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Sounds like the nut slots heed to be lowered. Check string height over the first fret.

Sounds eminently likely, the nut height on my Sterling ‘Ray SS was unnecessarily high.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Sounds like the nut slots heed to be lowered. Check string height over the first fret.

What should the height over the 1st fret be? 

Is there a tool/technique I need to rectify the problem? 

Fret the string between second and third frets, then look at the gap between the string and first fret. The gap should be very small.

How small? Try with a strip of 80gsm standard photocopier/printer paper - this should be just lightly gripped when the string is fretted as above.

To lower the slots you ideally need fret files - otherwise there are ways with emery paper and bits of old string. This is a precise, fiddly job - go too far and the nut need replacing.

If you are practical, patient and confident (!) you can learn to do this job - otherwise take it to a good setup person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

I suppose you have done this the right way: the intonation should be set with new strings only. Dirt and wear affect the intonation.

I did immediately change the strings as I had a new set handy and was going to do it anyway at some point. 

• Like 1