Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes X ultra - does it do clean?

Elfrasho

I'm looking for a high quality stand alone DI/preamp/cab sim type pedal and I saw my local cash generator has one for sale for what seems to be a reasonable price. From YouTube videos, it seems to be highly focussed on the crunchier end, however I wonder does it do super clean? A bit of switchable filth is always a positive however can it play nicely? Even the 'clean' examples on YouTube tend to be just on the edge of breaking up, which in my view isn't clean. 

Anyone had much experience on using it for a clean tone? Also, the cab sim is either on or off. Any thoughts on that?

Help much appreciated

I've got one of these. I mostly use it for playing metal. The EQ points (which are fixed) are typical of most Darkglass products, so aimed at a more modern sound.

However, like many Darkglass products, whilst its marketed at heavier genres, its really versatile if used correctly. The key to using it as you're suggesting is to reduce the input level. They're super sensitive to this, and with most basses I've tried (fairly modern, active ones from Dingwall, Ibanez and Yamaha) going straight into it gives a signal that is too hot to access the low gain and clean capabilities that the pedal has.

It has the ability to increase output by up to 12db to compensate for reduction in input gain, so any loss of volume on the way in shouldn't be a problem in that sense.

The cab sim can only be run through the XLR out, its off all the time from the main jack output.

If you're still not sure you could try downloading a free two week trial of Neural DSP Parallax. Its essentially a software emulation of this pedal (not quite 100% faithful, but close), and gives you a very good idea of what the pedal is capable of.

Hope that helps!

That is very helpful actually much appreciated! Although the more I look into it the more I think it's just not the right pedal for me and I'm inly considering it for convenience..I could have it in my house in about ten minutes! 

It dies sound excellent I must admit but the ultra gain side of things isn't something I'd use very often, if at all, so I'd probably be better sticking the cash into a different pedal with similar functions, just a different tonal range!

If you like the B7K sound its a great pedal and very easy to dial in that tone. But if you don't like that B7K sound, you're a bit stuffed with it.

The XU is way more powerful and versatile than the B7KU, but less intuitive based on my experiences with both.

If your XU is for sale for a good price I'd expect you could punt it on easily enough if it didn't work for you.

I went and bought it anyway, as @robiredalesays, ill move it on for the price i got it for no doubt,  so at worst I'll just have a new toy to play with for a few weeks!

Initial thoughts through my audio interface and then headphones. It can definitely do clean, and in the clean channel it doesn't colour the tone of the bass hugely. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but swapping through IR's definitely colours it in different ways. 

On the dirty channel... holy moly... this is incredible!  Really shouldn't be surprised given that it's geared towards the high gain modern sound, but its truly awesome. Have it as high gain as you want without losing lows. It has so much bite.  The pedal to go for, if you want that sound.

I still think I've got the wrong pedal tone wise,  but the functions of this is exactly what I want. preamp. DI. cab sim.  

I'll live with it for a few weeks at least, not got a gig to test it properly until October though and I'll not play through a proper amp again this year potentially!