Why become a member? ×

Sterling Short-scale Stingray Daphne Blue & Fender Gig Bag - *SOLD*
£490
Lancaster

ash

Sterling by Musicman Short-scale Stingray

Lovely short-scale bass in Daphne blue with Fender gig bag. Plays great. No damage or issues other than an extra drilled hole on the scratchplate where a thumb rest was fitted by the previous owner. I’m moving house so a lot of gear recently purchased is getting sold on. 

These are lovely light basses and are really easy to play lots of YouTube videos about them. Great build quality too. 

I would prefer pickup in person but can post in the UK only at buyer’s expense.   

Edited by ash
Sold
  • Like 1

Hey, I have been wanting to get one of these forever. However the one I bought had serious quality control issues (bent knobs, jagged nut, clicky tuner, problematic bridge that can only be lowered to 0.2+mm, etc), and the shop confirmed the other they had in stock has similar issues.

Is there room to lower the action properly? I prefer very low action, 1.5mm-ish or even lower sometimes. You mentioned this one has great build quality, so I guess this has passed the pre-Covid QC (apparently build quality fell a bit during the pandemic), but making sure :) 

Just out of curiosity, does the thumbrest hole go into the body as well? Not that it really matters, if I'd buy this, I'd get either a matt black or a silver mirror scratchplate anyway that would cover it :) 

How old is it?

Lancaster is pretty far away for me, what would be the delivery cost and which courier would you use? 

The action is pretty low on this and there is certainly room for adjustment. The pots are fine, no issues with the pot shafts or crackle. I set it up to my tastes so action is very comfortable, the fitted - presumably stock - strings are fairly heavy however. I’ve not changed them. The extra scratchplate hole does go into the body. My only criticism is that the tuners feel cheap and had I been keeping this I would have upgraded to Hipshots or Schallers, they do the job and don’t rattle or anything! I can post it for around £22 parcelforce. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ash said:

The action is pretty low on this and there is certainly room for adjustment. The pots are fine, no issues with the pot shafts or crackle. I set it up to my tastes so action is very comfortable, the fitted - presumably stock - strings are fairly heavy however. I’ve not changed them. The extra scratchplate hole does go into the body. My only criticism is that the tuners feel cheap and had I been keeping this I would have upgraded to Hipshots or Schallers, they do the job and don’t rattle or anything! I can post it for around £22 parcelforce. 

That was my only criticism of the hardware. Fortunately, a set of Hipshots came up for sale here and they were duly bought and fitted. The weight saving on the scales is pretty minimal, but the feeling on the strap is totally different and, of course, the replacements are super smooth and accurate.

• Thanks 1

• ash changed the title to Sterling Short-scale Stingray Daphne Sold