Why become a member? ×

Loud Popping Sound Coming From Non-Valve Amp

binky_bass

Morning/Afternoon all,

I've had my GR Dual 1400 amp for a while now, it's a great bit of kit. However, recently I'm getting a VERY loud 'pop' noise coming from the amp maybe once every 30-40 minutes during rehearsal. The volume of the pop is extremely loud, our guitarist very nearly plopped himself last night when it happened.

Is this popping likely to be an issue with the amp or an issue with the power supply into the amp? 

The amp is housed in my recently built rehearsal space - we have 3 amps and a decent sized PA system that all run from the same consumer unit within the rehearsal room and none of the other amps 'pop' - it's just the GR head.

Would a power conditioner of some kind help? Is the amp possibly faulty? Is there an easy fix? 

I defer to the greater knowledge of Basschat!

Thanks, Russ.

Almost certainly an issue with the amp (or maybe whatever is going into it from the jack socket). However, it is much easier to rule out power supply in and jack socket in, so do those first, run a really long extension from the house or something, and change pedalboard / bass.

Or try it in a different rehursal space - in fact you could just leave it on in the house, doing nothing.

It still sounds like the amp though :/

I occasionally get an electrical "pop" from an amp when its plugged into a certain socket in the house 🤔 Not incredibly loud but loud enough to be unnerving. I'm not practicing at volume. Never happens on other sockets in the house or on gigs anywhere else. I've checked the socket in question and all apears to be OK so i am interested in what this thread thows up 🙂

Have you tried plugging into one of the sockets that the other amps are OK in?

Edited by Acebassmusic