Why become a member? ×

Help! Pro-Tools tracks not visible when file opened on a different computer?

Beedster

I'd really appreciate some help with this as it's causing me a few problems at present. I moved some Pro Tools files - in short the whole folder containing what appear to be all the files from a session - to an external drive and then to a different computer yesterday. When I opened the session the tracks were empty. I plugged the external drive back into the source computer and opened the Pro Tools session from that external drive and the tracks were fine. So I assumed that there must be files on the source computer that are needed for, and linked to, that session that are not contained within the session folder. But I can't find them? I have tried a few problem solving threads elsewhere suggesting, for example, that I save the files as a new session before I transfer to the external drive but the problem persists. As IIRC I used to do this without problem a few years back when I'd regularly edit on a laptop in the house having recorded using the desktop in my studio, I'm flummoxed?

Did you use File>Save Copy>then tick the box that says ‘copy all audio files’, or just saved the project to a new directory?

Coild be that the Project folder is different to the Audio folder, and you’ve got one without the other, so PT is able to reference the files, but not actually use them.

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 1

Thanks Paul, I checked and the box was unticked. I think what threw me was that the files Pro Tools was trying to link to on the second computer were two .wav files I had downloaded from a web podcasting platform and had imported into the Pro Tools session on the original computer as opposed to having recorded them directly into that Pro Tools session as I've usually done before. I guess in the later case the audio files would be saved and if needs be copied as part of the session which is why this hadn't happened before? Either way, many thanks, you've saved me a lot of head scratching 👍