Why become a member? ×

Funny passive wiring

Mr. Foxen

Assembled my new frankenbass, a P with Dimarzio model 1s at neck and bridge, no p pickup. My other P has a J and I've put in a switch so I can switch it from normal output to stereo, with a pickup to tip and 1 to ring. This time I've tried to do the same but with tone pots in addition, and a stacked volume, so I can turn both down easily. However, its not working like I want it to and I don't understand, How should I be wiring this? Is it the tone pots bleeding the pickups into eachother? Is that why there are reisstors in a stack knob jazz? Do I need to use a switch with dual poles rather than a single? Someone wanna draw me a diagram that will work? I don't understand this.

Found part of the problem, a short, but now I seems to have a master volume and a weird interratcion between the two volumes on the stak pot. I though it was just like two seperate pots just concentric, but its not doing what I expectedwhen I just copied the wiring from a les paul but skipped the switch, and replaced with one that switches one of the pickups from tip to ring.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='465855' date='Apr 18 2009, 02:41 AM']Found part of the problem, a short, but now I seems to have a master volume and a weird interratcion between the two volumes on the stak pot. I though it was just like two seperate pots just concentric, but its not doing what I expectedwhen I just copied the wiring from a les paul but skipped the switch, and replaced with one that switches one of the pickups from tip to ring.[/quote]

it would help to know exactly how you've got it wired now, otherwise it's not possible to make a helpful suggestion - can you draw out the wiring diagram ?

I basically followed this:

Except instead of a three way selector, one goes to tip and one is on a switch between the tip and the ring of a stereo socket. Oh, and the caps are earthed to the body of their respective pots. The two volumes are on concetric knob double pot though.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='466209' date='Apr 18 2009, 04:03 PM']I basically followed this:

Except instead of a three way selector, one goes to tip and one is on a switch between the tip and the ring of a stereo socket. Oh, and the caps are earthed to the body of their respective pots. The two volumes are on concetric knob double pot though.[/quote]

... and what problems are you experiencing ? (you're not making this easy :) )

If you wire the vol pots as you have there, you're probably finding that if you turn the volume all the way down on one pot you lose all volume when a standard jack is plugged in - normal on a Les Paul.

It might make more sense to wire the two vol pots Jazz bass-style, each with their own tone pot, and cut the hot wire between vols to send the signal to separate jacks - that way the switch would kill the pickup if used with a standard jack.

Right now the volume pots don't work like they should. Thinking I need to start again, from scratch, what I want is a volume and tone on each pickup, and a switch to either send both outputs to tip as per normal or send one pickup to the ring of a stereo jack, it works fine on my other bass, but that has no tones, and P + j pickups. Does having tones make a difference? Its in bits again no, gotta put it back together and try and describe better how all the knowbs currently work.

Edit: How would I wire the switch in the Jazz style scenario?

Edit 2 it works fine in stereo mode, but in mono either volume takes all the sound if you turn down, suspect its the ring contact to the shaft causing it but having trouble picturing it now its all back together. Maplins for a double pole switch so I can isolate it next rebuild.

Edited by Mr. Foxen