Why become a member? ×

Ported cabinet mod.

B.Flat

Once again, advice sought.

I have a 2 X 10" Eminence Deltalight cab, each speaker in its own compartment. Both compartments have a rear port. The low end response is very good, but used on its own there is too much bottom end.

The ports were added to improve the response but now I want to use the cab for small room rehearsal, by itself. I have a bi-amped system and would like to be able to block the port in one compartment to return it to a sealed enclosure.

So, ideas are sought to be able to block this port, but not permanently.

Does it have to be totally air-tight or could the vent be tightly stuffed with "stuff" ?

Any clever ideas ?

Thanks for the replies.

Bill, I thank you for your reply and of course it is correct.

However, I would still like, if possible, to know if there is a good way to temporarily block a port, short of screwing an air-tight cover over it.

Some makers offer foam bungs for doing this but you can use anything that works. I've used small towels or similar in the past. You don't have to get a 100% seal. I'm sure you realise the power handling at low frequencies will be reduced if you do this. Keeping the ports and using tone controls to cut the bass, as Bill suggests, will increase power handling.