Why become a member? ×

Cab farts

lownote

5 hours ago, DGBass said:

@Obrienp I Couldn't say, but it was mentioned that this hadn't happened previously. The first 1x10 I had started buzzing within a week of use. The second one after about a month of use. I only contacted BF about the first one and when it happened on the second, I fixed that and both cabs were fine. The bolts were quite small, maybe M4 or M5 and I did refit them with spring washers and new t-nuts before selling the cabs on.

I’ve had an email exchange with Alex at BF and he said he wasn’t aware of woofers coming loose. If it was happening it was rare, so I guess they are still using the same fixings. He said to really put a lot of torque on the retaining bolts, making sure to use a good PZ2 screwdriver (they use torque drivers at the factory).

I asked why they didn’t use Allen bolts and he said they had looked into it but it cost a lot more and slowed down assembly speed. He didn’t comment on my suggestion to use lock washers, or Loctite. He also said that they could sell me replacement fixings, if the ones on my cab are worn. I think I might look into replacing the bolts with stainless Allen bolts and using a drop of Loctite for good measure.

@Obrienp It was over six years ago that I mailed BF regarding my 1x10 issue (still have the original mail exchange) and I would agree its probably an uncommon occurence. In my case it wasn't the actual fixings that were the problem, it was lack of wood at the rear of the baffle where the nuts had fallen off.  Also worth mentioning is that too much torque when tightening can cause the t-nut at the rear to rotate and chew up the timber that its fixed into. It then has little to hold it in place and will eventually loosen off with vibration from use. I never use power tools or power screwdrivers when mounting bolts and t-nuts with speakers because of this. Then again i'm not operating a production line😉 

IME its much easier to over torque when working with thinner baffles. Less likely if its 18mm voidless plyboard and M6 fixings. I'd be interested to see how you get on with your plans.🙂   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DGBass said:

IME it’s much easier to over torque when working with thinner baffles. Less likely if it’s 18mm voidless plyboard and M6 fixings. I'd be interested to see how you get on with your plans.🙂   

Yes, I’m going to take it easy, despite what Alex advises. I am hoping lock washers, or Loctite will make up for less torque. I’ll post the results when I have road tested my fix for a while.

• Like 1