Why become a member? ×

Reduced to £675 Meinel (Germany) ply bass circa 1960s with adjustable bridge, Realist pickup, soft case and new-ish Spirocore lights - *SOLD*
£850
South Somerset (possibly London)

Hi, I've decided to sell my Meinel ply bass which was made (according to luthier Martin Penning) in Markneukirchen, Germany circa 1960s. Martin (he's based in Frome and he's ace) did a fair bit of work on her several years back including fitting the adjustable bridge and the Realist pickup. The bass has just arrived back from The Bristol Violin Shop (also ace IMO) who have set it up. It's wearing an almost new set of Spirocore lights and it sounds great (but you'll need to be the judge of that). I'm selling for the simple reason that my carved bass took a tumble and the neck broke off. Assuming it was curtains for said bass I bought the Meinel. only to discover the magicians at Bristol Violin Shop could reattach the severed neck. Double basses aren't exactly inconspicuous and my wife has suggested I don't need two of them. The Meinel is in good condition for an instrument from the 60s. There's some wear on the edges where it's been laid on the floor, but no cracks or nasties. The tuners work as they should and it stays in tune. I've got the adjustable bridge set low and to be honest I wouldn't mind it even lower. The Realist pickup is working. There's a decent soft case which is well padded, but has some wear. I paid £950 for the bass a few months ago, added the Spiros (£160 from Thomanns) and spent £130 on the set up. It's ready to play. Of course you're welcome - encouraged - to play it before buying. We live in South Somerset (not far from Glastonbury) and I'd be happy to meet up halfway with a serious buyer (not sure how that works with a DB though. Guess you could try it in car park). I might be persuaded to bring it to London, but clearly that's not an option I'd relish.  I'd add some sound files, but I'm a learner on DB so I'd be a bit bashful about that. Ask for some sound files if it helps. All the best, Richard

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

Edited by Richard Jinman
  • Like 1

• Richard Jinman changed the title to Reduced to £675 Meinel (Germany) ply bass circa 1960s with adjustable bridge, Realist pickup, soft case and new-ish Spirocore lights
  • Richard Jinman changed the title to SOLD Meinel (Germany) ply bass circa 1960s with adjustable bridge, Realist pickup, soft case and new-ish Spirocore lights