Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton B-450FL Progressive

MrSpace

Just ordered one of these. 14683651_800.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_450fl_bk_progressive_series.htm

My other bass is a Washburn XB100 (P-style fretted I bought 25-odd years ago while at university). Fancied giving fretless a try but didn't want to commit too much of the hard-earned just in case I don't like it.

Thoughts / advice for a beginner?

• Like 1

From what I have seen from videos it would seem it is amazing value for money at least in terms of sound. I also love the active-passive switch: I have two slightly more expensive basses and they do not have it. Let us know if playability turns out to be good.

I am a beginner myself so nothing to teach. People say pay attention to fretting-hand posture as it helps intonation, I found this to be good advice. Also I am finding that "vomit" exercises (sliding up and down a scale with a drone playing the tonic) help.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MrSpace said:

Parcel from Thomann due for delivery today 😁

I've got a fretted 5 string version of the same bass, for the price I paid for it I can't fault it (not being a 5 string player - it's my first one!)

Happy NBD - hopefully!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rasher80 said:

I've got a fretted 5 string version of the same bass, for the price I paid for it I can't fault it (not being a 5 string player - it's my first one!)

Happy NBD - hopefully!

Hi @rasher80 may I ask you out of curiosity how is the neck in terms of chubbiness and what is the string spacing at the bridge?

IMG_20220525_144314147.thumb.jpg.b8733df8388caa217d585928d7f05411.jpgIMG_20220525_144309971.thumb.jpg.013e159b197b6302cbc5a2d35ccb7cbe.jpg

It's arrived, and I can make noises with it. So that's a good start. Not as different to playing fretted as I thought it would be, although I definitely have a lot of work to do on my intonation (understatement of the year). 

Huge amount of tonal variation possible with the active electronics - haven't played much with passive mode yet but I can confirm that it works. 

As the van arrived with the package, "So What" (Miles Davis) came on the radio, so I guess its a sign, I will have to try and learn that now LOL. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Almost a week with this bass, and I'm really enjoying playing it. I haven't done any setup on it at all, and it's basically fine. I am getting a little bit of buzz when fretting near the nut, so I will probably tweak the truss rod when I get some time. 

• Like 2