Why become a member? ×

Sold*****LAG Collection 5 String

BassBunny

Truly outstanding and quite rare LAG Collection 5 String. Flame Maple Top finished in Red-Burst. Active EMG's. Gold Schaller Hardware. I understand it was made around 1986 and is definately one of the French ones, (there were some made in Japan apparently).
There is the odd "ding" and very slight Buckle Rash, (only visible from certain angles). Some of the Gold has rubbed off the Vol/Tone controls, but generally it is in fabulous condition.
String spacing at the bridge is slightly narrower than the norm at 15/16mm, but it plays like a dream. Superb slim neck combined with the narrow spacing make it really easy to get around.
Just had a set up, thorough clean and polish and brand new set of D'Addario Nickels fitted. looking for £295 or near offer. Includes slightly battered ABS Case.
[attachment=23714:Lag6.JPG]
[attachment=23715:LAG4.JPG]
[attachment=23716:LAG1.JPG]
[attachment=23717:LAG3.JPG]

Edited by BassBunny

I owned a Lag bass in the early 90s which would be a little before this one I think, though still in the same timeframe when they were hand made in France. The quality was exceptional (as were the other few Lags I played around that time) and of the many, many basses that have been and gone for over the years, the Lag is one of only a couple I would have back in a heartbeat if I could find it again.

Someone should really go and try this bass 'cause if you can get on with the spacing on this bass, which is a little different, at the price it's going to give you a serious quality instrument for a very reasonable price.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='462631' date='Apr 15 2009, 01:01 AM']I owned a Lag bass in the early 90s which would be a little before this one I think, though still in the same timeframe when they were hand made in France. The quality was exceptional (as were the other few Lags I played around that time) and of the many, many basses that have been and gone for over the years, the Lag is one of only a couple I would have back in a heartbeat if I could find it again.

Someone should really go and try this bass 'cause if you can get on with the spacing on this bass, which is a little different, at the price it's going to give you a serious quality instrument for a very reasonable price.[/quote]

Hi Pete,
According to the LAG forum, this one dates from around 1986 and is definately a hand made French one. They made a matching guitar as well.
It is an exceptional quality instrument and in great nick. I actually find the string spacing makes it very easy to play. I think it could be changed, but if you look at Stanley Clarke's Alembic, he uses a pretty narrow spacing as well.

I am just looking to get back what the Bass owes me. I reckon it probably is worth more. :)

[quote name='BassBunny' post='462756' date='Apr 15 2009, 10:03 AM']Hi Pete,
According to the LAG forum, this one dates from around 1986 and is definately a hand made French one. They made a matching guitar as well.
It is an exceptional quality instrument and in great nick. I actually find the string spacing makes it very easy to play. I think it could be changed, but if you look at Stanley Clarke's Alembic, he uses a pretty narrow spacing as well.

I am just looking to get back what the Bass owes me. I reckon it probably is worth more. :)[/quote]

There's a Lag forum? Wonder if I could find my old bass lol

Only reason I thought it was a little younger than mine was 'cause of the headstock shape, which I only ever saw after mine had been and gone, but happy to bow to others' superior knowledge.

I'm sure the spacing won't be an issue, as you say, it's not entirely unusual and I'm pretty sure I've played a few 5 stringers which had that kind of spacing on them.

Definitely agree on the quality though. My Lag was hands down the best made bass I've owned and I chose it over the Warwicks and Statii that were also hanging on the wall at the time. Only sold it 'cause I got into 5 strings and couldn't really afford to have two basses when there were other things I needed. Wish I could have it back again.

Hi Pete, Here you go.
[url="http://www.laboitenoiredumusicien.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140"]http://www.laboitenoiredumusicien.com/foru...splay.php?f=140[/url]

All in French though. There is a UK one, but it has just been set up and there is little activity.
[url="http://lagfan.proboards.com/index.cgi"]http://lagfan.proboards.com/index.cgi[/url]

Edited by BassBunny