Why become a member? ×

Can I use a "clean boost" to drive built in OD circuit in a class D amp

Vin Venal

I understand the theory of using a clean boost to drive a tube amp harder, thus getting more distortion without too much more volume.

Can I get the same result putting a boost in front of a modern class D amp with built in OD circuits in the front end? Specifically my Darkglass Microtubes 900 - I like both the built in ODs, but would like a switch to add more drive at times.

Rather than buying an OD pedal to put in front, which would add its own flavour of drive, was thinking I could just get a booster, or even run an eq pedal with the volume cranked?

But I dunno if this only really works with tube amps?

This is the Darkglass block diagram, with the drive section inside the dotted line - it has a separate Level control before you get to the main gain staging of the amp.

Sorry to ask stupid questions, I know I could just try it, but don't wanna buy a pedal just for that. 

Screenshot_20220423-125545_Drive.jpg

36 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

I understand the theory of using a clean boost to drive a tube amp harder, thus getting more distortion without too much more volume.

That only works if you have a method of attenuating the amp output, with a device like a Power Soak. You wouldn't do that with any SS amp, since the mechanics of how tubes and SS distort are very different. As for the Dark Glass, what's shown inside the dotted lines is in essence a distortion pedal.

• Like 1

Overloading the output stage of a valve amp as a way of getting nice distortion is slightly complex and is due to the nature of the tubes themselves, the architecture of the amp and the presence of an output transformer. Each valve amp will have its own flavour of distortion too.

overloading pretty much any stage of a solid state amp a causes a different sound from valve outputs. Chopping off the peak of the waveform as the limits of the voltage swing available is reached. It sounds pretty bad and I don’t really think it’s worth your while going there. Find a flavour of drive pedal you like and use that. 

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 3