Why become a member? ×

Identical Fretted and Fretless J-Bass Necks?

Hi, I'm currently in the process of looking for parts to build a double neck bass.
The current problem I'm facing is that I can't find matching necks (one with frets, one without).

Ideally they should be black, or at least have a dark fingerboard, as I can always strip the varnish off the neck and repaint it in piano black.

In terms of price, ideally they should be under £80 or so, and I don't mind waiting for international shipping.

Disclaimer: This is my first post on the forum, I have no idea if I've put this in the right category.

First of all, the price is on the low side. Expect to use cheapo units. Check harley bentons or diy kits at T-shop.

A double neck is one big and heavy unit. If you want to try to reduce the distance of the necks, you may try left and right hand necks (if the tuners are in line). If you can position them closer, the body size can be smaller and lighter. A chambered body would help, too.

A three position switch may be useful for changing sides.

Edited by itu

18 minutes ago, itu said:

First of all, the price is on the low side. Expect to use cheapo units. Check harley bentons or diy kits at T-shop.

A double neck is one big and heavy unit. If you want to try to reduce the distance of the necks, you may try left and right hand necks (if the tuners are in line). If you can position them closer, the body size can be smaller and lighter. A chambered body would help, too.

A three position switch may be useful for changing sides.

Thanks for the suggestion on the neck spacing, I've already borrowed a double neck bass + guitar from a friend and have copied rough dimensions from that, but the issue of finding two necks that look identical save for having or not having frets. Instead of having a three position switch I'm going to just have a switch positioned to the left of each neck's pickups so I can quickly flip each side on or off.

Just now, PaulThePlug said:

The bay... https://ebay.co.uk/usr/zhongtunshangmao

I'd message em and i'd be bargaining for a discount... £130 the Pair?

These ones look good value, but the fretted and fretless ones are subtly different, although may be similar enough that it isn't noticeable by other people, but it would still bug me that they don't quite match. Either way, these will be the ones I use if I can't find a perfect pair, thank you.

They say 'Our factory can make it according to your needs...' 

I'd find the one you like, then message em. Do you want Face Markers, on the fretted and Lines on the Fretless? or both plain with just side markers on both? In between on the fretless like a fretted, or 'at' the fret? worth a strong mention!

And Howz about a reverse headstock on the lower? Too 'Modern'?

Edited by PaulThePlug

48 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

They say 'Our factory can make it according to your needs...' 

I'd find the one you like, then message em. Do you want Face Markers, on the fretted and Lines on the Fretless? or both plain with just side markers on both? In between on the fretless like a fretted, or 'at' the fret? worth a strong mention!

And Howz about a reverse headstock on the lower? Too 'Modern'?

Thank you for pointing out that detail, I completely missed it! I'll contact them in pursuit of a plain black neck with only side markings, as I'm going for black and gold and I want it to look as clean and neat as possible.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PrintStringName said:

Instead of having a three position switch I'm going to just have a switch positioned to the left of each neck's pickups so I can quickly flip each side on or off.

Quickly and quickly... if the 3-pos. switch is in between the pickups, the change can be done while switching the right hand position from frets to fretless and vice versa.

While I mentioned the left and right hand necks (and @PaulThePlugused the right word, "reverse"). check this Jonas Hellborg's Wal:

http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/2014/07/wal-double-neck-basses.html

I wish you will share the pics, when your monster is ready.

2 hours ago, itu said:

Quickly and quickly... if the 3-pos. switch is in between the pickups, the change can be done while switching the right hand position from frets to fretless and vice versa.

While I mentioned the left and right hand necks (and @PaulThePlugused the right word, "reverse"). check this Jonas Hellborg's Wal:

That is a good point with the 3 position switch, I hadn't considered that. I will also make sure to send the pictures here on the forum when the beast is finished, but that won't be for at least a couple of months :P

On 12/04/2022 at 16:27, itu said:

A double neck Wal would save you a fortune in gym membership!

• Like 1