Why become a member? ×

OLP MM22

OutToPlayJazz

A few of you may remember me harping on about a visit to Electro a while ago where a 'mere' OLP Ray copy in metallic silvery green with HH pickups and active pre blew me away & was by far the best bass in the shop. Well, I've managed to snare that very bass for considerably less than Squier money. I first played it when it was brand new, then it was loaned out to at least one person who had a bass in for repair/service. I found it again today at Electro leaned up against a wall with it's strap retainers missing & looking a little sorry for itself. So I made Dave an offer & took it away, restrung it, cleaned it, set it up & it's still just as awesome as I remember.

I've played a lot of Rays over the years and none has ever blown me away like this one - It plays like a demon, sounds fantastic & I even have to back off the bass on the preamp as it's so powerful. Obviously the 9v preamp isn't going to be as balanced as my 18v ones, but it's a really great bass.

If you get the chance to try an MM22, go for it. It's a real pity they don't make these any more!

Rich.

Edit: I've now found out the colour is called "graphite pearl."

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

The other day in a shop I played one of the OLP Levin sig basses (one of the later ones in peach) and to be honest in a side by side comparison with a stingray five there was a small difference in sound but not a lot. The SR5 felt much much nicer to play and was clearly better build quality but the £1000 price difference does make you wonder.

EDIT: Although I might add, I would never part with my stingray for anything.

Edited by mathewsanchez

• 1 month later...

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='459828' date='Apr 11 2009, 10:04 AM']The other day in a shop I played one of the OLP Levin sig basses (one of the later ones in peach) and to be honest in a side by side comparison with a stingray five there was a small difference in sound but not a lot. The SR5 felt much much nicer to play and was clearly better build quality but the £1000 price difference does make you wonder.

EDIT: Although I might add, I would never part with my stingray for anything.[/quote]

hi. can you elaborate on the 'much nicer to play' bit.
Neck Profile ? Acoustic response ? ergonomics ?
Thanks

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='459717' date='Apr 10 2009, 11:40 PM']A few of you may remember me harping on about a visit to Electro a while ago where a 'mere' OLP Ray copy in metallic silvery green with HH pickups and active pre blew me away & was by far the best bass in the shop. Well, I've managed to snare that very bass for considerably less than Squier money. I first played it when it was brand new, then it was loaned out to at least one person who had a bass in for repair/service. I found it again today at Electro leaned up against a wall with it's strap retainers missing & looking a little sorry for itself. So I made Dave an offer & took it away, restrung it, cleaned it, set it up & it's still just as awesome as I remember.

I've played a lot of Rays over the years and none has ever blown me away like this one - It plays like a demon, sounds fantastic & I even have to back off the bass on the preamp as it's so powerful. Obviously the 9v preamp isn't going to be as balanced as my 18v ones, but it's a really great bass.

If you get the chance to try an MM22, go for it. It's a real pity they don't make these any more!

Rich.

Edit: I've now found out the colour is called "graphite pearl."[/quote]

I was asking for one of these in the "Wanted" section so anyone with one lemmie know cause they are impossable to find now!
But I was told build is crap and to go elsewhere...The truth?

I still want one for a project build as I cannot afford £1500 for a HH 'Ray...These are the bomb!

EDIT: Sorry, it was a MM32 I wanted...the 5-string version.

Edited by Kongo