Why become a member? ×

NBD- MM Stingray 5HH

lee650

So as it was my birthday last week, I'd decided to act upon my latest Gas attack, which was a 5 string Stingray (Thanks @AndyTravis 😂)

I'd been offered back my old Stingray 5HH in Honeyburst, which I sold on about 5 years ago,when I hit hard times. The seller very kindly offered it back to me, and with the sale of a few pedals and part trading a lovely P bass, the deal was done.

This is a 2006 Ray HH, which were at the time wired series (same as position 3 near the neck on a single pickup), but only for a couple of years. They changed the bridge and neck pickups to parallel in 2008, they  also introduced the Sterling 5HH at the same time, which was wired in series.

Its a different sound, a bit less in your face than a paralell wired ray, with a less extreme scoop and less highs.  It Sounds great, the series wired back pickup has a smoother sound and not as aggressive and clicky, but still very much a stingray sound. The front is like a Gibson mudbucker,only with clarity and the two together have a very modern punchy scooped tone. I'm not as keen on the single coil options but on the two outer coils, it's almost like a Rickenbacker, they do work great with fuzz though 😁

The colour is Honey Burst which was discontinued, and a rosewood board,I think the Tort guard was an optional extra too.

It's a lovely colour! Darker than the photo suggests, Like light caramel going into reddish brown.

This is the second musicman I'd sold and was lucky enough to get back! I owned a maple boarded/parallel wired  USA Sterling 4, however I'd decided that kind of sound isn't what I'm after these days.  I remembered this HH had a smoother/ more versatile sound, so decided to get it back. Stingray 5s have such lovely neck profiles too.

20220314_111807.jpg

20220314_111720.jpg

20220314_111632.jpg

20220314_111747.jpg

20220314_111739.jpg

• Like 13

Looks lush Lee, happy for you! Interesting story about the wiring, I was totally clueless!

It is something else when we have a chance to reunite with gear we've loved...

Enjoy it in good health, and happy belated birthday mate!

• Thanks 1