Why become a member? ×

Same(ish) tone across same note on different strings, property of the strings?

chyc

I have some strings that I've grown to love (Rotosound UM45). One thing that was an absolute revelation is that to a large extent, the same note across different strings sounds similar in tone. All strings that I've played up 'til these sounded fine when in the same position on the fret, but with these, I can play an A on the G string, and it will sound similar enough to the A8ve on the A string. This means I can play at the dusty end of the fretboard, then switch to near the nut and not have that jarring tone switch that I'd almost grown used to.

This thread is mostly academic as I think I've found my forever strings, but in case I get itchy fingers, what should I be looking for to get this feature in a set of strings? I've been asking the all knowing Google, but clearly haven't found the right keywords.

There are certainly different characteristics to the sound of the same note on different strings. Over the years I've adapted how I play to incorporate that phenomenon and take advantage of it.

eg: If I want to play an ascending phrase or riff that has a bit more power I might start with C on the E string.

If I want it to sound cleaner and brighter I might start it with C on the A string.

Edited by SteveK

Rotos? I can understand - they sound consistently dead across all strings in all positions? I just jest.

My forever strings are DR (Hi-Beam or Low-Riders, I'm actually favouring the latter for the higher tension). I've found that on my 5er GB basses, the tone of the string remains pretty static as you describe, across strings. I'm using 40, 60, 80, 100 gauge strings with a slightly weightier B - being a 125. The DRs really work well with my GBs... but it should be noted that the bass plays a big part in the consistent speaking tone of the bass. For example, whilst Dingwall use the multi scale as a selling point and theres many raves about the quality of the B, you'll find less people keen to mention that the weight of the note on the higher strings is a not as pronounced - so for example, if you are playing a 5 string across the first 5 frets, there's a distinct difference in the quality and weight of notes between strings.

Open strings never will sound the same as a fretted note - I'm not convinced by zero frets either. If you want consistent tone, don't use open strings... unless there's a particular need to (in terms of ease of playing, or using it for effect).  

24 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If I want to play an ascending phrase or riff that has a bit more power I might start with C on the E string.

If I want it to sound cleaner and brighter I might start it with C on the A string.

I don't think I'm there yet with my playing: I'm just scrambling around trying to hit the right notes in the right order, so if they sound the same whichever string I use that could only be a good thing for me.

24 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Rotos? I can understand - they sound consistently dead across all strings in all positions? I just jest.

Banter!

Just for the record, I bought these Rotos because I wanted to get something from the UK, and I'm not a fan of the usual suspects (Swing bass etc).

• Like 1