Why become a member? ×

Amp Modder - ideally in Hampshire (UK) ?

BigJHW

Hey,

So picked up a TecAmp Puma 500 

1st gig and spotted a problem that appears to be caused by the fact i'm putting it in to my Barefaced 212T  (not an issue that anyone would have known about if they were using an 8ohm cab or a more sensible 4 ohm cab - apparently just a ME problem haha)

The Puma 500 is a gen 1 so doesn't have an internal fan
looks like putting it through my 212T 4ohm is causing "something" to over heat and sound to cut off.

Someone did make a post about TecAmp saying some 4 ohm cabs run "low impedance" which causes the power amp to get too warm and cut out.
They said there was a mod of adding a little internal fan to amp which should resolve the issue.

I know nothing about electronics so i'd be the WORST person in the world to try and do this

but there are some amazing people here on bass chat and i was hoping there might be someone local to Basingstoke Hampshire (UK) that might know how to do this for me and have a part to do it

probably involves installing a fan (of some sort) connecting it to the power and probably some wizardry with other wires and bits..

otherwise it's probably going to mean new cabs or selling this amazing sounding bass head and getting something like a markbass tube800 instead.. (which i don't really wanna do)

thanks in advance.

Not stalking you. Honest!!

This is probably a simple wiring job for any competent electrician. "Amp modder" may put people off responding, as that's a pretty niche request. Your description of the job sounds accurate and probably amounts to a couple of screws and soldering two wires (in the right place).

Where are you in Hampshire (I won't visit, I promise!!).

• Haha 1

Basingstoke matie.. honestly considering trading it in for an Eich T500 tho haha
same amp - but newer and as far as i can tell HAS resolved this issue.

gonna wait to hear back from Eich (hopefully) to see what they suggest.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hey there,

I ended up at a well know bass retailer where i traded in the PUMA and came away with an Eich T-900

I did speak with Eich to see if there was anything that could be done as it was a "known issue" that they used to resolve for people even on the old TecAmp stuff, but sadly they said it wasn't something they did any more.. They suggested a buying a small 3rd party fan and getting it wired in to keep the unit cooler - but they felt the problem could actually be with the BF 212 i was running at the time and it running below the 4 ohm min load for the bass head causing it to over heat.

Something they resolved in the Eich gear but them all having the cooling fan installed  

For reference it was just an early 1U Puma 500

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ukbassboy said:

Great detail, thanks. Sounds like it is maybe worth avoiding the 500s without a fan. 900w model would be fine as would barely tickle that output! 

Grab any of the newer Eich stuff and it's all good
don't get me wrong with any other cab i imagine that TecAmp head would have been amazing - it sure sounded perfect - thankfully the Eich is just as clean and of course as i got the 900 - MORE POWAH !!!!! :) (still can't push my BF cab to it's limit tho haha)