Why become a member? ×

I really love Tommy Shannon's bass playing, especially alongside Stevie Ray Vaughan. He brings interest and excitement to Blues bass.

The bass line from Mary Had A Little Lamb is a great example of Tommy Shannon's style and how he develops a basic riff to create an engaging bass line while still complimenting the guitar part.

In my latest YouTube lesson I show you how to play a simplified version of the bass line that works really well with the whole song. In the second part of the lesson I analysis the bass line and show you some of the licks and musical devices that Tommy Shannon uses.

I've made up a PDF booklet for the lesson which includes the simplified version, the whole bass line transcription and a version for 5-string. You can get a free copy of that in the video description.

https://youtu.be/ZWaVRoO3cME

I used to play this in a blues band I was in many years ago. I always liked playing Tommy’s lines, his ability to just sit behind the beat and let Stevie run amok is great and an object lesson in pocket playing. Tommy and Chris Layton are one of my favourite rhythm sections. Check out their playing with Storyville, especially the Piece of Your Soul album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I used to play this in a blues band I was in many years ago. I always liked playing Tommy’s lines, his ability to just sit behind the beat and let Stevie run amok is great and an object lesson in pocket playing. Tommy and Chris Layton are one of my favourite rhythm sections. Check out their playing with Storyville, especially the Piece of Your Soul album.

You’re on the money with Tommy’s playing. He’s often underrated in my opinion. 

I haven’t heard much of Storyville. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check the album out. 

• Like 1