Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pick Playing with Flats

Guest BassAdder27

Having discovered the benefits of Flatwound strings and for my PBass playing rock bass ( nothing too heavy ) think AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, etc I am now trying to choose a good pick to use.

I am trying to keep the “ full thump” tone and can’t decide on the warmer Nylon Picks or Tortex Picks for a brighter tone. 

So far I’m going between Tortex 1.14mm Dunlop Purple or Dunlop 1mm Nylon 

Ive also got some 2mm Big Stubby Nylon on the way to try.

Trying to avoid the clanky bright tone but more deep thump tone of classic rock era. Don’t suggest fingers as I’m preferring pick playing in my current band 

Edited by BassAdder27

24 minutes ago, Man.about.Tyne said:

2mm big stubby are my weapon of choice.  You’ll get a different tone out of the shoulder than out of the point, too.  But, pIcks are cheap, try a selection.  The sound you’re after is in YOUR head, we can’t hear it.  It’s what sounds good to you.

Thanks .. I’ve tried the shoulder in picks apart from triangle picks of course !

I have loads of different picks already so ideally don’t want to keep buying too many more. I read the Nylon Big Stubby was popular with Flats hence why I’ve purchased some to try 

I have Tortex in 0.73, 0.88, 1mm, 1.14mm also Nylon 0.88 and 1mm then Ultex in 0.88 and 1mm 

A few Primetone picks, some Dava Control, Adam Clayton picks, etc etc 

Edited by BassAdder27