Why become a member? ×

How unrealistic are the sim combinations possible on multi FX units?

Munurmunuh

I really like my Ampero Hotone and have built several combinations to suit different basses.  

Since I've no knowledge of the realities of real amplification, I just run through the options following what my ear likes. I'm curious if what I've put together is just fantastical nonsense.

For example, one I did just now, to suit Roto Bass strings + my BB's P pickup

Keeley C-4 Compressor

Xotic RC Booster

Alembic F-2B

David Eden 4×10

AKG D112 microphone

5 band EQ

Adjusting the microphone position, especially its distance back from the cab seems to shape the tone in a more interesting way than fiddling with the EQ. I don't even know how you mic up a 4×10.....

I found the Alembic tone settings I settled on a bit bizarre until I read that the closest thing to flat on one of them is bass 2, mids 10, treb 2!

To give an example...

2 Marshall Plexi heads with sequential serial numbers coming off the production line 1 after the other often sound very very different.

Then the people buying them will use different guitars, different pickups, pickup heights, strings, signal chains, speaker cabs, and the speakers in them, and play them in very different sounding rooms.

They will both swear blind they are the "classic" plexi sound.

So don't worry about it.

The Alembic "flat" setting is very common. 12 O Clock on most tone controls is not remotely flat. It's just the mid point of the sweep the designer wants to use. Genuinely flat as shown on a 'scope usually sounds like a pile of derrière.

• Like 1

I'm going to go with 'mostly realistic'. The ampeg sounds ampeggy, close enough anyway. 

I've never really cared though as the real question isn't "does it sound realistic?" but rather "does it sound good?". 

• Like 1